• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

AKfreak

150cc
One thing I might add one thing to drilling props, you should index them on the compression stroke. This is to make sure if you dead stick, the prop is horizontal when you land.

It's just something I do when I drill props.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKfreak

150cc
Ok, now this just my way of thinking, but if you drill a prop in any old position, during a dead stick, the prop will stop rotating on the compression stroke. If that random position of the prop is such that one of the prop blades is pointing down, it can strike during a distressed/botched landing.

Also with the prop indexed horizontally (2-3 o'clock) against the compression stroke, the flipping is at more of a downward arc. This helps to prevent lifting up on, or pushing the plane sideways when you flip it.

I know during a normal landing the prop can strike regardless of the orientation, but dead sticks things don't always happen the way we want. Props out of the way just might save one a few bucks.

Lastly messing with control line planes, the guys learned quickly to index the prop so it stops flat. Creatures of habit, things just get passed along. Well, there you go, my thinking about prop indexing. Hope I don't sound crazy to ya.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Akf I agree that deadsticks ought to be a consideration for how to drill a prop, but I feel the consideration of safe flipping is paramount. As aronph mentioned, I want my prop to be drilled for good starting. I find that 2:00 is optimal for me to be able to give a nice solid flip and get my hand cleanly out of the way. The prop kight break on a deadstick, but it is out of the way enough that you still have a good chance of saving it. Id rather lose a prop than a finger.

AKfreak

150cc
Akf I agree that deadsticks ought to be a consideration for how to drill a prop, but I feel the consideration of safe flipping is paramount. As aronph mentioned, I want my prop to be drilled for good starting. I find that 2:00 is optimal for me to be able to give a nice solid flip and get my hand cleanly out of the way. The prop kight break on a deadstick, but it is out of the way enough that you still have a good chance of saving it. Id rather lose a prop than a finger.

Note I said 2-3 o'clock ;)

3dNater

I only partially agreed. I no longer feel safe at 3:00. Just a personal thing I guess. Just remember that the difference between 2:00 and 3:00 is 30 degrees. To me that is significant enough to make a distinction.

3dNater

I do it the same at vvrc. I suppose if you wanted to have a wide margine of error... make it between 1:30 and 2:30. I dont like the mechanics of flipping a prop at 3:00.