• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

how do you drill your props? this video i made today, demonstrates how i have been doing it for the past 3 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeeiGM22V-k&list=UUZYrMHmbHD9fMkFu1exq6Cw
i use a drill press and a prop drill guide. the drill bit has to fit snug in the guide, and the bits need to be sharp. discard worn bits. needs to be sharp. Drill slowly and clear flutes frequently. i drill one hole first and then pass a bolt that fits snug in the hole and the guide, then i drill front side of prop the holes only half way across. then i remove the guide bolt thru only complete hole, flip the prop, replace the guide bolt, and then drill the other holes 2/3 of way across. then flip prop again, and finish it off. i will also put another bolt once i get a 2nd hole all the way across. also, i use counter pressure on the base of the drill press, as the pushing down of the drill can bend the base, and cause you to drill a hole off center.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Mr orthobird if you don't mind me adding a few things. Always start drilling on the prop hub side of the prop and drill to the spinner side. The reason is that this the side that the bolts need to line up with the hub and any drift wont affect the fit as much going outward from there. Secondly you forgot an important thing use the provided bolt through the center to keep the drift to a minimal, or is that a home made drill bushing without one? There is no way that you can hold it tight enough, the bolt really helps. Lastly you are pinning your previously drilled hole with a bolt. Use a drill or pin the same size instead. These holes have clearance designed in and using a smaller diameter screw can allow drift to one side and in essence wipe away all of your clearance when you are done with all 4 holes. Thanks for taking the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
My pleasure Mr. Ohio, and thanks for the comments. i actually only drill one hole thru and thru first. but i use the drill guide and start all the remaining holes from both sides. I meet in the middle. i have tried the drill bit, but usually they are too long it will prevent me from bringing the press down on the remaining holes, that is why i use a tight bolt./ also, once i get the second hole, i put in another bolt. But all of your comments are valid and i appreciate them. also, what you said about starting on the back makes a lot of sense to me. the way i do it has always lined up well without a glitch for the past 3 years, in my hands. My drill guide is from TBM, and it is specific for the da 170. it does not allow you to put a bolt thru the back. i do have other drill guides that let you put a bolt thru the back, and this compresses it all together. But, i prefer not to use these for the following reason. once the bolt is on the opposite side, the propeller cannot sit flat on the work table for the obvious reasons. In order to make it flat, you have to obtain a 2 x4 and drill a big hole on it, so that the prop head can sit in it and the the prop can rest on the wood area. this however, brings in a new surface, that may not be "perfect" or "flush", so this in itself can increase chance for "off center" drilling. Also, hard to drill a 3 blade prop like this and keep it square, when only one blade and the hub are resting on the wood of the 2 by 4. but i see what you are saying. best regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I buy my props pre-drilled from valleyviewrc.com :) whatever method they use works out well for me every time :D

ryan_m

100cc
Depends on the price! But I would be interested if I ever build another 50cc bird up. 24oz seems to big, and 16oz is just barely enough. I've been using the 16.9 oz Fiji bottles in the last couple 50cc birds I've had.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Depends on the price! But I would be interested if I ever build another 50cc bird up. 24oz seems to big, and 16oz is just barely enough. I've been using the 16.9 oz Fiji bottles in the last couple 50cc birds I've had.

I use the 20oz smart water bottle tanks from [MENTION=2715]WrongWayRc[/MENTION]. They work really well.

ryan_m

100cc
I almost ordered one of those, but wasn't sure how long the room in the new MXS was. I ordered a 24oz one from them once, and the tank was so long that it wouldn't fit into the plane! The new MXS with it's little 35cc motor should be plenty happy with the Fiji, but I'll keep the smart water bottle one in mind for next time.