• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

Ahblair4

70cc twin V2
Our field was empty today because of an 8-10 mph crosswind that many guys in our club find uncomfortable to fly in. So I had the whole place to myself to practice low level knife-edge passes with my 74" Edge right down the runway. :D

Marc

View attachment 21900

If it puts it in perspective, Andrew (another up and coming pilot) taxied backwards by lifting the tail with the elevator!

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
8-10 and they dont fly? That is kinda sad.

+1+++ we're trying ringer more folks comfortable with wind up here. It is sad that 10 mph should cancel a flying day. I tell guys "if you don't fly in wind you'll never learn to fly in wind!" The sims give an opportunity to fly with stupid wind and get more comfortable. It really kills many days if that's going to be your limit. Oh well, more airspace for the rest of us.

dth7

[MENTION=291]AtomicFlyer[/MENTION] that looks like a nice field. Are those sand buckets? Looks like no shortage of sand!

8-10 and they dont fly? That is kinda sad.

The way I look at it is that everyone gets something different out of this hobby. If flying in the wind isn't fun for a guy, I don't feel the need to convince him otherwise. Probably a third of my club is over 65. Some of them hardly ever fly actually. But they're interesting guys that have led full lives and they have good stories to tell.

My club has some pylon racer guys, some warbird guys, a few guys who only fly small foamies, and even one guy in a wheelchair and on oxygen who usually needs help starting, launching and landing his plane. I'm the only guy in the club who does the silly 3D stuff (or at least I try to). I think it's fun to play in the wind.

[MENTION=291]AtomicFlyer[/MENTION] that looks like a nice field. Are those sand buckets? Looks like no shortage of sand!

Yeah, we use 5 gallon buckets of sand as plane restraints. When I get told to go pound sand, the walk is not long. :) Here's an aerial shot of our field. And yes, that's a control line circle off to the right, which again gives some indication of the varied interests of our club members.

field.jpg

Marc

Ahblair4

70cc twin V2
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395018229.182861.jpg

I flew this 60" EF Extra it's 3rd flight out. I flew the brains out of that sucker! I had quite the viewership for my flight.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
10 mph is resonable for anyone and just about any plane. If you show up with a 3d plane and wont fly in 10 mph winds? Really?

There is a blurb about flying in wind in the Scott Stoops book on RC Aerobatics. Even he put it, that at certain point it is just not fun anymore. Can I fly a model in 25 mph winds? Yes, but I don't enjoy it.

Darren and I have been the only two flying at our club in what I would consider only moderate winds for models. April is a notoriously windy month up here, so we shall get our wind skills sharpened.

dth7

There is a blurb about flying in wind in the Scott Stoops book on RC Aerobatics. Even he put it, that at certain point it is just not fun anymore. Can I fly a model in 25 mph winds? Yes, but I don't enjoy it.

Darren and I have been the only two flying at our club in what I would consider only moderate winds for models. April is a notoriously windy month up here, so we shall get our wind skills sharpened.

Amen brother! It really is silly (no offense intended) but if 10 is too much than find a dome and fly F3A. I have a ball with my TH foamies in 15+. Walling up a 60" or larger and seeing it back up 20-30 feet in 20+ mph just makes me giggle. I know it's not for everyone but pilots should get to a competency level to handle moderate winds.
If you plan to compete in any events you best be prepared to fly in wind.

I wanted to do my usual low level hovering yesterday, but I was doing backward harrier flight instead. Kind of weird having the plane fall in a straight line towards you with the tail pointing at your head.