• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

zmonster97

I had one when I was flying 8S and it really did the trick but to do so you really need a 24v power supply.

Me and my dad are working on making one! But he doesn't understand why it needs a 24v power supply. His reasoning is that with it maxed out, it needs about 756 watts. (30a x 25.2v for a fully charged 6s battery) And a dps-600pb (I think) putts out 575 watts on 12v. So he thinks I should just use the 575 watts and not worry about 24v and the few extra amps I could get out of it when charging 6s lipos. I keep telling him that everyone uses 24v on these chargers and stuff but he doesn't see the point. I don't know.:)

We'll finish the power supply eventually. I guess until then I'll have to use my 12v 15a power supply.:)

ryan_m

100cc
on 12v input you are only going to make about 500 watts (give or take), plus the charger will work a bit harder doing it. But it will work fine if that is all you need.
I ran a 208b on a 13.8v supply for a while, rated at 350 watt charger, but on 15v it would only make about 280.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Me and my dad are working on making one! But he doesn't understand why it needs a 24v power supply. His reasoning is that with it maxed out, it needs about 756 watts. (30a x 25.2v for a fully charged 6s battery) And a dps-600pb (I think) putts out 575 watts on 12v. So he thinks I should just use the 575 watts and not worry about 24v and the few extra amps I could get out of it when charging 6s lipos. I keep telling him that everyone uses 24v on these chargers and stuff but he doesn't see the point. I don't know.:)

We'll finish the power supply eventually. I guess until then I'll have to use my 12v 15a power supply.:)
A single will run it but you won't be able to charge at 30A for parallel charging which is the blessing of having a large charge capacity.

Yes 756w is required but now you need to find the charger input to do so for 30A. Power supplies are basically 80% efficient so
Watts (ps) = Watts (out)/.8
Watts (ps) = 756W / .8 = 945W Sorry but that is the reality. You have roughly 596W at 12V and 24V basically doubles that.

The math is here

Convert a DPS-600PB for 12V here

To go 24V with two DPS-600PB's here
Lots of it on RCG if you need more help.

Last edited by a moderator:

-DJO

70cc twin V2
[video=youtube;ReHqM6GPCSg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReHqM6GPCSg[/video]

Check it out! You don't have to watch the whole thing. Maiden soon!

:)

Dan

zmonster97

on 12v input you are only going to make about 500 watts (give or take), plus the charger will work a bit harder doing it. But it will work fine if that is all you need.
I ran a 208b on a 13.8v supply for a while, rated at 350 watt charger, but on 15v it would only make about 280.

A single will run it but you won't be able to charge at 30A for parallel charging which is the blessing of having a large charge capacity.

Yes 756w is required but now you need to find the charger input to do so for 30A. Power supplies are basically 80% efficient so
Watts (ps) = Watts (out)/.8
Watts (ps) = 756W / .8 = 945W Sorry but that is the reality. You have roughly 596W at 12V and 24V basically doubles that.

The math is here

Convert a DPS-600PB for 12V here

To go 24V with two DPS-600PB's here
Lots of it on RCG if you need more help.

Yeah, I pretty much know that I need to go 24v to get the most out of it, but maybe I'll pass along this information to him. Thanks!

njswede

150cc
Gotta love Linda's Hobby Hut in Pompton Plains, NJ! She's not a sponsor of the site or anything like that. but she deserves a honorary mention tonight! It's so rare to walk into a hobby store that 1) has stuff in stock, 2) has staff who know what they're talking about and 3) doesn't have rotten attitude. Go Linda!!!

G.P.

70cc twin V2
Heli guys - due to losing a few flying spots, I'm thinking about giving helis another try. Last time I tried a Trex 450, but found it a little twitchy and too small to see. I'd like to maybe try something bigger and I would like to use my 4s 4000 packs. Anybody know of a heli and set up that could use those packs?

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
Heli guys - due to losing a few flying spots, I'm thinking about giving helis another try. Last time I tried a Trex 450, but found it a little twitchy and too small to see. I'd like to maybe try something bigger and I would like to use my 4s 4000 packs. Anybody know of a heli and set up that could use those packs?

That's tricky... Usually:
450=3s
500=6s
550=6s
600=12s
700=12s or 14s

I guess you could run the 500 on a 4s pack. It wouldn't have TONS of power, but I'm sure it would be enough...

Tada...Protos 500 calls for a 4s 3700mah or a 6s 2500mah. Sounds like a perfect match

http://helidirect.com/msh-protos-50...h-60a-esc-sab-425mm-carbon-blades-p-22651.hdx

ryan_m

100cc

a 500 class heli could do it with the right motor.
Normally something like a trex 500/protos 500 (I've had both) run a 6s2650, which is about the same weight/flight time/watt hours as a 4s4000. Your amps will be higher though and for full on 3d flying you may wish you had a 6s setup instead.
The trick would be to find the right kv motor/pinion combo to get the proper headspeed.

By the way - having had a trex450 and trex500, you will really really like a 500 class heli. I agree, 450's are twitchy and small. The 500's are a heck of a lot more stable and present much better in the air as well.