• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Starting Your Plane by Yourself, 60ccc or Larger

Bbcorvette18

70cc twin V2
I use a start stand that pounds into the ground or into a pic pipe at the field. It holds the tail solid while you flip. Pull the plane back and the arms drop automatically. $50 at vvrc. And I built one with crap metal I had laying around.

Works perfect hate seeing someone use rope or ratchet straps as there's almost always slack in them.

I've only started the plane with a setup that left it free to roll back. I learned quickly to be aware of the plane coming off its retention, holdbacks or straps, prior to every single flip. I would really like to try one of those mechanical units though! :cheers:
:please-ban: Full disclosure mine is smaller than a 60cc.

Smitty

50cc
I put a 1/4 in. rope around a pole or a tire on my truck and slip the loop over the tail feathers to hold the plane when alone.--Smitty

Joe Hunt

150cc
For god sakes, anyone that is new to the hobby or gas engines.....NEVER EVER start your plane like flycanic did in his first video!

Terry, help a brother out here, I've always thought that was the safest way possible.

I'm behind the prop, not trusting something to keep the prop from getting at me. My hand clears probably faster out of the prop arc than from the front. I don't have to trust anything to keep me out of harms way. I've made mistakes and started planes full throttle this way and it is no problem, and much safer than trusting another person holding the plane or trusting a tether. I only wish I had long enough arms to start my 170cc planes this way. I cannot see how this is less safe than starting from the front. I consider it =considerably= safer myself.

flycanic

70cc twin V2
Terry, help a brother out here, I've always thought that was the safest way possible.

I'm behind the prop, not trusting something to keep the prop from getting at me. My hand clears probably faster out of the prop arc than from the front. I don't have to trust anything to keep me out of harms way. I've made mistakes and started planes full throttle this way and it is no problem, and much safer than trusting another person holding the plane or trusting a tether. I only wish I had long enough arms to start my 170cc planes this way. I cannot see how this is less safe than starting from the front. I consider it =considerably= safer myself.
Nicely stated Joe. I do not know were Terry got the Idea that I was having Newbies starting there gassers this way. and as you have said." I consider it =considerably= safer myself." I personally feel the same. So, Terry Help a couple brother's out here. We are waiting

Joe Hunt

150cc
I might have phrased it wrong, flycanic, but to be more clear, I'm not trying to call anyone out. I'm just saying that it's =my= preferred method for safety reasons.

flycanic

70cc twin V2
I might have phrased it wrong, flycanic, but to be more clear, I'm not trying to call anyone out. I'm just saying that it's =my= preferred method for safety reasons.
That is all I was referring to when I first posted my response that starting gassers up to 100cc planes is my referred method also when Terry jumped all over me about starting these planes from behind like it was the worst thing a person could do, and as unsafe as a person could be.
Wacobipe. There is no reason to tag Terry he is on here every day, and has read this. Starting my gasser's from behind has been MY PREFERED
way for years and will always be.

I do see one problem with this method. You said that you have made the mistake of starting an engine at full throttle. Ok, first of all your plane is not restrained and you loose your balance stepping away from the tail. It happens. Now you have a plane in the pits out of control.