• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Starting Your Plane by Yourself, 60ccc or Larger

sproose_moose

New to GSN!
Ok, my first "giant scale plane" 30% edge with a ZDZ 80, wouldn't start needed the throttle set. So I tie this thing to a Pallet with 2 bungie cords right? flip,flip, and flip, on my knees, cuss, flip, flip, by now the neighbor guy, working on his stock car is peeking out of his garage watching. Flip, flip, cuss, flip, flip, VAROOM off she goes, half throttle, lurching at me like a Rottweiler chained to a truck tire, me sliding backwards on my butt. Needless to say the neighbor was no help because he was laughing so hard he peed his pants. Moral of the story is this if you continue to do stupid stuff it will get you, I got lucky once, never tried that again, get help holding the plane if you can if not think about what you are doing, have an escape route, don't endanger yourself or others. Our hobby in under enough scrutiny right now, we need to keep it a safe and family friendly..

Fly safe!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I think the moral of all this is just simply this. (1) If someone is available to help, don't be too proud to ask for assistance. Asking for help is far better than asking someone to help you get to the hospital. If no one is available, use a "GOOD" restraint system that is twice to three times (if not more) stronger than the amount of thrust your engine can produce at full throttle. (2) Check that throttle for proper operation. For my own safety, (and others) before any of my planes even make it to the start line, every control is checked and double checked for proper direction movement and adjustment. I do realize servos, linkages and other components can fail. However if you take the time to do a proper set up, it will undoubtedly minimize the potential for a disaster. (3) At the start line and upon powering up my plane before I even energize the ignition or flip that prop, I check "ALL" control movements. Including the throttle to insure it is operating properly. (4) Low throttle and choke. NEVER EVER start a plane above idle or just a click or so above. If it doesn't start at idle or sputter with choke in a short period of time, full throttle is most definitely not going to be a good outcome if it does catch and run. Ignition on and ready to start. (5) Though not the practice of some or maybe even most, I do not use a glove. Admittedly I was a little leary of the big block 210, but after a few "dry" runs at flipping the prop through compression with the ignition off, Heck..., no different than any of my other motors. After I have checked my controls, I rock my prop to "know" where my compression stroke is. I too have my props indexed for my liking. Some like it at 12 o:clock, some like it at 2. Others have their own preference. I like mine between 1 and 2. Big compression 3w's don't scare me, but that big Falcon 32" and bigger prop spinning does. Following through the arc of the prop just after the motor comes past the compression stroke, I am already in full swing and pulling away from the prop as I swing it through the arc. If that motor comes to life, all parts of my much needed stick operating fingers and all appendages they are attached to are well away from a rotating prop. There is some really great advice from a lot of really great pilots and hobbists in this thread. Key factors should always be, "Common Sense and Safety".

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I also see a few people who don't use a glove, but I will always use one. I was starting a 3W 60 on my Byron Sukhoi and I was flipping the prop when it kicked back and smacked my finger. I am glad I had a welding glove on because that SOB hurt for a week. I don't like to preach because I know everyone has different comfort levels with their planes, but I will ALWAYS use a glove when I start my gassers. Besides, a quickly turning sharp props and a person on Warfarin are NOT a good combination. . . :laughing:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Another thing I see way too often is folks setting their transmitter on the ground beside them while they swing the prop....or even out of reach!!!! THEN....kneeling on the ground while they prop the thing!!!!!! :eek:

To me that is a disaster waiting to happen. I have mine on my neck strap (securely around my neck). with no loose ends flapping about. I hold the transmitter securely with my left thumb above the throttle stick, keeping it at idle (as Stang says, your plane should start at idle or just a click or two above).

As i swing the prop I am stepping out to the left each time....away from the arc and airplane.

These things will bite BAD if one gets complacent or hurried. I propped full scale planes for years and respect the little one just as much! :adore: