• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Starting Your Plane by Yourself, 60ccc or Larger

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I hold the transmitter securely with my left thumb above the throttle stick, keeping it at idle (as Stang says, your plane should start at idle or just a click or two above).

As i swing the prop I am stepping out to the left each time....away from the arc and airplane.
Heck, I knew I learned this from someone. In my old age, I just couldn't remember from whence it came. Lol

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Have to ask the opinion of all, ? when at some of the bigger fun flys. With the bigger plans like 170 and up. With some of the restraints with all that power is going through the stab. Is it trust worthy to hold the full thrust of engines that powerful. The last time I saw a person stand in front a larg plane the engine was 400cc if not larger. Two rods in the ground and the plane stabs up agains the rods.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Got to say you bring a real valid concern with those big azz planes!

A properly tuned DA 120 and appropriate prop can generate nearly 70 lbs of thrust.

My 60cc like most others is about 36 lbs of thrust.

My 70 cc is slightly higher at about 39 lbs of thrust.

I have not and do not operate aircraft above 120cc but I imagine these 170 class engines can generate close to if not over 100 lbs of thrust.

So IMO a couple of 200+ pounder gents would be my choice of restraint system.(preferably experienced fliers not some schmuck).

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Personally, I don't like doing more than a quick blast (1-2 seconds) of full throttle on my 150.....and that is with me or a buddy standing in front of the stabs. Doing that against foam wrapped pipes will dent the leading edges.

If I need to do more than that I'll have the wings against pads as well as standing in front of the stands to help spread the load. These things pull hard!!!

FWIW I use the following equipment. However, having come extremely close to injury before I've found 100% concentration and mindfulness are the best protection. And walking away to think if the engine isn't starting as it normally does rather than just keep flipping.

I use one of these for ground testing in my garden. Very helpful and stops the plane going forward OR back. Can comfortably restraint my DA120 at full bore and on paper can restraint 60Kg of thrust so suitable for much bigger. A nicely designed bit of kit.

1.jpg

For starting, I wear one of these. Field hockey glove - very well padded in right places - but best of all, available to purchase single as you only wear one while playing :)

2010_Mercian_Super_Pro_Hockey_Glove.jpg