• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Restoring The Yak

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
OK, OK you asked for it, I'll start a new thread so I won't pollute your thread any more. But don't say I didn't warn you in advance. I will probably bore you and the rest of the Guy's to sleep. . . . . . :sleepy:
Naa... I'll be sitting here quietly as you shake your magic beads and mix your potions and conjer up some too cool to pass up awesomness.:banana-dance:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ok, so the scheme has been decided on. And since Tony has made it too easy for whatever is needed for his airframes, I decided to cheat a little. Ordered is a brand new cowl and wheel spats, along with the complete covering kit for the Yak. All in the CH1 Green, Black, Silver and White.

After flying the Sukhoi with the 3dub 170 up front today, I've definitely decided on the 3W 210 TSCS for the Yak. The Sukhoi has really good performance and is definitely not lacking for power. But I'm expecting the Yak to outweigh my Sukhoi by around 3 to 5 pounds. I don't just want performance, I want suck you back in your seat performance.

The setup is going to be carbon copy of the Sukhoi. 2 each per control surface Hitec HS 7950TH. Except for the rudder. I may go with the 7980's on it instead. Throttle will be Hitec HS 5665. SF Power Expander Pro, Fromeco 7.4 5600 LiIon x 2 for rx., with two 2600's for the twin sparklers. For guidance, I will be getting another rx. for my new Graupner MZ24 with telemetry. And of course all harnesses, multiplex plugs, fuel tank and assorted hardware will be @Taildraggerrc. I have the coolest Yak/Sukhoi Tru Turn spinner I will be using too. I would like to run a Falcon CF prop up front, but not sure they make one that big.

Depending on work and weather, I plan to start stripping the fuse next weekend. I am really anxious to get going on the latest Beast.

More to come...

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
EYE Been peeking in here.....
Snapshot_20141222_1.JPG

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!

BalsaDust

Sweet... sounds as though there are going to be quite a number of recover jobs this winter.

Yer always peaking in on thangs Dimes. Hopefully Johnny Law doesn't catch you peaking at things you shouldnt.:laughing:

Yeah this will be the third recover job for this guy. Turned a avistar into an L-4 grasshopper, almost done repairing and recovering a Kadet Sr, and then onto the edge. Got a badass scheme to put on it as well. Prolly will start a thread for it when I start the process.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Well one thing is sure......Rob's covering work is EXCELLENT. When we both repaired the rudders on our Edges his looked like factory! Mine.....heh....not so much lol. Think I am going to completely recover it now and cheat. Get B&E to do the triple colored number 17.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Yeah this will be the third recover job for this guy. Turned a avistar into an L-4 grasshopper, almost done repairing and recovering a Kadet Sr, and then onto the edge. Got a badass scheme to put on it as well. Prolly will start a thread for it when I start the process.
You will post pics, right?:yesss:
Well one thing is sure......Rob's covering work is EXCELLENT. When we both repaired the rudders on our Edges his looked like factory! Mine.....heh....not so much lol. Think I am going to completely recover it now and cheat. Get B&E to do the triple colored number 17.
Thanks Kelly. I actually like to cover. I'm really looking forward to the Yak. All the panels will be pre-cut when they arrive from Pilot. But the rest will be pretty much like any other covering project. Ya know....you could contact Tony and get everything you need for that rudder. All the covering and original numbers will be an exact duplicate of what's on it. Tony is one hell of a good dude. Shipping for everything I ordered was 23 bucks. Now how could I turn that down? Never have I experienced the kind of devotion and loyalty to the hobbist as I have with Tony and his crew!!!