• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Restoring The Yak

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Flying season is drawing to a close and the maintenance, repair or build season is rapidly approaching. Since I don't have a lot of maintenance to do, (maybe a wheel pant replace here, or a scuffed rudder there, pull and check plugs) I figure I'll do a little building and restoring. The build of the Pitts Bipe "WILL" get done this winter. But until then, I'm going to get started on a 40% Yak restoration and covering project.

I'd considered putting this in the "Covering and Painting" thread, however since I will be doing some clean up, repairs and alterations, I figured here would be a little more appropriate.

The Yak in question really isn't too bad. Nothing like a certain 50% Hemple Edge that @Flyrcjoe did an impeccable job of straightening out. Some things I'm really good with doing. Others, not so much. I like to build, but I really hate fixing things that others have made.....well, just "Hinky".

This next part is an acceptance of pure stupidity on my part. I admit it...k? Originally when I purchased the Yak, I was told it was a "Pilot". But after contacting Tony and looking at the covering scheme, I had come to the conclusion it was not. The covering is a custom Mark Leseberg scheme. My understanding was he had put them on the SD and TOC Yak's. Not the Pilot. Some things were just not adding up though. Such as the overlapped covering on the canopy such as Pilot does. Also, each component of the airframe was tagged with an airframe number in the same fasion, (all matching) as is also the case with Pilot airframes. In addition, putting the plane next to my son's new TOC 40% Yak, it was clear it was not the same. Though the cowls are perfect hand in glove matches between the two, the TOC main wings and stabs are further forward on the fuse than the Pilot. The final definitive indicator was the Pilot brand on the inside rear cover of the can tunnel.

20151014_191337.jpg

Holy crap, duh! In my own defense, it was gloomy and raining the day I picked it up. Plus, pretty burned out from all the hours at work. Suffice it to say, it is a Pilot 40% Yak 54 with a Leseberg custom scheme.

Ever since getting my Hangar 9 Sukhoi, I've had a warm spot for the round fuse planes. Not that I don't like my 260 or my Edge. Just the Sukhoi and Yak look really cool to me.

I've been considering "not" duplicating the Leseberg scheme when I recover it. The Green,Black,White scheme Tony has on his new airframes is just so sexy to me. Been seriously considering that one. What do you all think? Stay with the scheme that is on it? Or change it up for Tony's CH1 scheme on his new airframes?

20151008_170344.jpg
DSC06126.JPG

I will be kicking things to the side to start this restore soon. I would welcome everyone's input.

Stay tuned for more to come.
:way_to_go: