• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Project Stearman

Alpha20

50cc
A buddy had one, the exact same yellow/red scheme with Moki 250. 4th or 5th flight he was doing a loop and the plane went straight down 90 degress towards the ground from about 100 meters high. He even had the time to show us there was no response from the elevator. We dug up the Moki from 40 cm under the ground. It turned out he had used an adjustable ball-link (the ones that you can tighten with a screw) on the elevator, and this came loose in flight. Both elevators shared one link. And the link itself was hidden under the vertical stab - not easy to inspect. Now he has built a new one, engine repaired, and with separate links for each elevator. In the air - the most beautiful model airplane i know of.

rodman

50cc
Bartman;13869 wrote: Linda's, as in Hobby Hut in NJ?

Yep Hobby Hut on Rt 23s Pomptonplains NJ They are personal friends of ours and are a great help to Cindy and I

during the summer we travel together going to events.

By the way it was nice to meet you in Hamburg PA at the Farview event.

rodman

50cc
I began finalizing the landing gear position making sure the alignment was correct.

then re drilled the mounting holes and installed T nuts.

Next I started drawing alinement lines on the engine fire wall.

20131103_103135_zps76662111.jpg

I taped the fire wall to the motor box frame to check the alignment

20131103_102741_zps95ae5055.jpg

20131103_102722_zps182fff90.jpg

Next i drilled the fire wall brackets and mounted them to the motor box frame rails with T nuts.

20131103_124745_zps8651b0d5.jpg

20131103_124756_zps4076dd7a.jpg

rodman

50cc
I aligned the fire wall drilled the holes and installed T nuts

and bolted it up to the frame.

20131103_171646_zpsc091778e.jpg

20131103_171633_zpsc0b15bb5.jpg

I removed the fire wall and drilled the holes for the engine and hung it temporary on the airframe.

IMAG0296_zpsb3337213.jpg

looks awesome to me lol.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
rodman;14379 wrote: Yep Hobby Hut on Rt 23s Pomptonplains NJ They are personal friends of ours and are a great help to Cindy and I

during the summer we travel together going to events.

By the way it was nice to meet you in Hamburg PA at the Farview event.

Ahhhhhh! Hamburg! I didn't put the Rodman name to the face. Firefly, A10, and Rodman.....gotcha.

Going back to Hamburg for the jet event? I'm going to be there I think if I get the days off from work. Nice Stearman project, love that engine!

rodman

50cc
Bartman;14517 wrote: Ahhhhhh! Hamburg! I didn't put the Rodman name to the face. Firefly, A10, and Rodman.....gotcha.

Going back to Hamburg for the jet event? I'm going to be there I think if I get the days off from work. Nice Stearman project, love that engine!

Not sure if we are going or not we have a few friends I'm sure will be there.

I have a Turbine waiver, but I don't have a Jet right now, Jets are a whole different pay scale lol.

maybe after the Stearman is complete I'll be able to save up for one.

rodman

50cc
I had to cut out some reliefs in the fire wall for clips and screws

that protrude from the engines mounting plate.

this will allow it to mount flush with the fire wall.

DSCF1419_zpsfcffbb8d.jpg

I wasn't all that happy with the design of the engines mounting ring

but there isn't much I can do about it.