Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Project Stearman

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by rodman, Sep 1, 2014.

1. I haven't worked on the Stearman in a while, Life gets in the way far to often.
    Any way I ran into a problem with the lower wing incidence its at +2 degrees when it should be 0.
    Also the wing root on the fuse is warped from years of laying around.

[​IMG]

So I removed the wing root from the fuse in an attempt to straight them out (not very smart!) lol.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. While I was contemplating what to do about the lower wing I decided I would make the lower wing tube removable
    Normally this would be bolted to fuse, so while I have the wing roots off the fuse now is a good time to figure it out.
    I decided to make a sleeve in the fuse for the square tube to slide into.
    So I wrapped the tube with wax paper and constructed a 1/16th lite ply sleeve around it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later when I have the lower wing roots figured out I'll install the sleeve and reinforce it with some fiberglass.

One other thing I added is another cardboard tube in the bottom of the fuse from the radio compartment
    under the cockpit to the wing root area for servo wires.

[​IMG]

3. It may be a while before I get back to the Stearman as I now have a 93" AJ Laser on the bench
    trying to get ready for spring here I'm sure everyone else is doing the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Looking good! Sub'd

5. Yes, spring is here time to fly. Great job so far. I love stearmans.

6. HRRC Flyer

HRRC Flyer GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Hello Rodman,

I just LOVE your Stearman. I know this is an N3N and not a "TRUE" Stearman, but Here's a little motivation for you to get back to work on it. Keep up the great work. N3N 1.jpg

combat chicken and ChickenBalls like this.
  7. stangflyer

stangflyer I like 'em "BIG"!

I am so in on this one. Before I left the hobby many years ago, I had a Bob Dively Super Stearman that was all framed up. I actually bought a radial for it with full intentions of completing it. Ah but life happens, sold it and I have never stopped kicking myself since. Of all Bipes, the Stearman has been my all time favorite. I would love to have another someday. Hmmm, Come to think of it, I have a friend with three new Moki's sitting collecting dust.... LOL

HRRC Flyer and combat chicken like this.
  8. MM2ICBM

MM2ICBM New to GSN!

I see it has been about 18 months since your last post and I am interested in know how your Stearman build is going. How are you liking the Evolution 260cc radial? I had two of them; both returned to Horizon for a full refund since I couldn't keep valves (both intake & exhaust) in either engine. I now have a Moki 257 radial with over 20 flights without a single problem.

9. Alpha20

Alpha20 50cc

+1. Love this thread!

10. Spain

Spain 30cc

Anybody out there with tips/suggestions on which way to go with flying wires/tail brace?

http://bit.ly/2evDtg1

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017