• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PAU Extra 300sp 50cc

I'm looking forward to your flight review on your new kit but that video you posted was pretty impressive and If I'm correct he had a 70 in it as well.

I've been hunting for more useful posts about what is the best way to iron covering when there is a lot of covering over covering. The 2 layers always shrink at different rates even with the pin holes in it.

Being that this pau kit I want to get will be my biggest investment I want it to look and fly great and last a long time.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
My buddies looks and fly's great. Several PAU's flying with the Noisy Boyz.
20160409_160205.jpg

As for me.......I Fly CHEAP airplanes :black-eye:.

20160409_160120.jpg

I'm not sure what makes this a "cheap" airplane but both planes look great. I really like the PAU powered by a 70 and a Jeti.

Thanks for posting, its making me want to buy even sooner(g)

toysforbigboys

70cc twin V2
Sorry all for the long delay since the last time I have posted. The real life work thing has been getting in the way of me finishing the plane.

I am hoping that I will get to finish the plane this week and Maiden her this weekend.

My over all thoughts on the arf are...

Covering I was very happy with...A few wrinkles out of the box but after some heat all was good there..
All parts aligned very nice.
No warps in any of the control surfaces.
Hardware is pretty nice the only thing I did not like in the hardware was the wheel collars. Instead of having a Allen set screw, they were a flat head set screw...had to replace them right away.

There are a few other things that I wish were done with this kit. I hate gluing in hinges and you have to do that on all control surfaces for this plane. This is the first arf in a long time that I hand to glue hinges other then the rudder.

even with a few negatives, so far I am very happy with the plane and can not wait to get her up in the air to see what she can do.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Hardware is pretty nice the only thing I did not like in the hardware was the wheel collars. Instead of having a Allen set screw, they were a flat head set screw...had to replace them right away.

There are a few other things that I wish were done with this kit. I hate gluing in hinges and you have to do that on all control surfaces for this plane. This is the first arf in a long time that I hand to glue hinges other then the rudder.

even with a few negatives, so far I am very happy with the plane and can not wait to get her up in the air to see what she can do.

Factory must have ran out or got some mix-up because mine were allen head, but I agree if you happen to get one's like you did they need to be changed that out. Never seen that in one of these before!!

On the hinges, I know the PAU planes used to come pre-hinged but they stopped that because they were coming with the gaps too tight to get the large throws people demand these days. Also if the factory happens to get one in the a little crooked then you are really in a mess where if they are un-hinged you are in full control to hinge them how you like.

Understandably though, the hinge debate is almost like an oil debate.;)

Thanks guys for the input. I'm looking forward to your after flying thoughts as well.

I only ask about the kit because I had just purchased a 30cc kit from a leading manufacturer and it was a major disappointment in a lot of ways and if I move up to this next level and spend a lot more hard earned money I have to be as sure as one can be. After seeing my friends viper its a lot easier.

Thanks and keep us updated.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Sorry all for the long delay since the last time I have posted. The real life work thing has been getting in the way of me finishing the plane.

I am hoping that I will get to finish the plane this week and Maiden her this weekend.

My over all thoughts on the arf are...

Covering I was very happy with...A few wrinkles out of the box but after some heat all was good there..
All parts aligned very nice.
No warps in any of the control surfaces.

As much as I hate gluing hinges too it is best IMO that we do it ourselves to be assured that they are not going to pull out.
I assembled an ARF for my BIL (26% Pilot extra 330sc)that had all hinges pre glued and the second time he flew it the left elevator pulled completely out! Fortunately control was maintained and no damage resulted.

20160409_160134.jpg

Bipeguy03

150cc
I used to HATE putting hinges in, but once I got the hang of it and learned some of the little tricks other guys use (mostly guys smarter than me! ;) ) I actually like doing it myself now. Like Terry and Dimes said, if it's left up to you and they fail you know it was your fault, and not some dude in China that was having a bad day at work lol.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks guys for the input. I'm looking forward to your after flying thoughts as well.

I only ask about the kit because I had just purchased a 30cc kit from a leading manufacturer and it was a major disappointment in a lot of ways and if I move up to this next level and spend a lot more hard earned money I have to be as sure as one can be. After seeing my friends viper its a lot easier.

Thanks and keep us updated.

I've flown a couple that other people that have built and it it flies like a PAU, very clean and precise and with the proper power and setup can get crazy as well. I don't want to know a brand, no brand wars are needed, but I can say that some of those "leading manufacturers" you mention are actually selling re-labeled or sloppy copies of other peoples planes. There are only a couple of main companies anymore that actually design their own planes from ground up and they stand out pretty well. We'll leave it at that;)