• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PAU Extra 300sp 50cc

Congrats on a successful first day.

I finally just picked up a used one myself so hopefully I will soon enjoy the plane like you. However I'm going to have to rehinge all the control surfaces. If anyone has any helpful hints I would appreciated it. I think I'm going to try the soldering iron to melt the old hinges out. Its just what is the best way to reglue the new hinges in.

Congrates

Bipeguy03

150cc
Congrats on a successful first day.

I finally just picked up a used one myself so hopefully I will soon enjoy the plane like you. However I'm going to have to rehinge all the control surfaces. If anyone has any helpful hints I would appreciated it. I think I'm going to try the soldering iron to melt the old hinges out. Its just what is the best way to reglue the new hinges in.

Congrates

To remove the old hinges use a sharpened piece of brass tubing chucked in a drill. You will most likely damage covering or even worse, catch the plane on fire before you get the old ones hot enough to melt. Not to mention it will be a sticky mess.

Another solution it to cut the old hinges off flush with the hinge line and put the new hinges in beside the old ones.

When putting the new hinge points in put petroleum jelly on the point to keep glue out. Most people use 15 or 30 minute epoxy, or gorilla glue to install hinges. Only put one side on the hinge in first, don't try to do it all at once. Example: Put the hinges in the elevator first, and assure that the hinge is in the hole square. When it is dry, glue the hinges into the stab hence attaching the control surface.

Keep paper towels and isopropyl alcohol handy while gluing to clean up any excess glue before it cures, especially off of covering!

Hope this helps!

toysforbigboys

70cc twin V2
To remove the old hinges use a sharpened piece of brass tubing chucked in a drill. You will most likely damage covering or even worse, catch the plane on fire before you get the old ones hot enough to melt. Not to mention it will be a sticky mess.

Another solution it to cut the old hinges off flush with the hinge line and put the new hinges in beside the old ones.

When putting the new hinge points in put petroleum jelly on the point to keep glue out. Most people use 15 or 30 minute epoxy, or gorilla glue to install hinges. Only put one side on the hinge in first, don't try to do it all at once. Example: Put the hinges in the elevator first, and assure that the hinge is in the hole square. When it is dry, glue the hinges into the stab hence attaching the control surface.

Keep paper towels and isopropyl alcohol handy while gluing to clean up any excess glue before it cures, especially off of covering!

Hope this helps!

When I remove old robart hinges, I use a set of very thin wire cutters I have to separate the control surface, then I use a hot solider iron to melt out the old hinge.

After that I follow the rest that @Bipeguy03 suggested.

ryan_m

100cc
The soldering iron trick works well, however the barb of the hinge that extends past the hardwood blocks on the inside of the plane usually falls off once you melt through all the glued in parts. And then it rattles around inside the wing or stab or rudder. Wings aren't too bad, you can usually jiggle it out. But the stabs and rudder... that area is usually a bit tougher. So be warned if you go this route.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
To remove the old hinges use a sharpened piece of brass tubing chucked in a drill.

THIS:yesss::yesss::yesss::yesss:!!!!!!!!!!

The trick is to then fill the hole with a piece of balsa that you sand into a round shape, CA that in and then trim off. Re-drill the hole with a SHARP 3/16" drill bit and then re-hinge.

I've tried about every way out there and this is by far the best way to do a nice, clean and accurate re-hinging.

toysforbigboys

70cc twin V2
THIS:yesss::yesss::yesss::yesss:!!!!!!!!!!

The trick is to then fill the hole with a piece of balsa that you sand into a round shape, CA that in and then trim off. Re-drill the hole with a SHARP 3/16" drill bit and then re-hinge.

I've tried about every way out there and this is by far the best way to do a nice, clean and accurate re-hinging.

@Terryscustom I think we need a video :)