• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale NEW (old) Great Planes Chapman CAP 580!!!

Hey Terry I'm interested to see what this plane is able to do. After flying the original splat cap for 7 years I know that plane was WORK to fly...you had to push and shove and push to get that plane through maneuvers. I'm hoping with the lighter wing loading and lighter airframe that you're able to actually push this one a little. Good luck, looking forward to the video.

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
Hey Terry I'm interested to see what this plane is able to do. After flying the original splat cap for 7 years I know that plane was WORK to fly...you had to push and shove and push to get that plane through maneuvers. I'm hoping with the lighter wing loading and lighter airframe that you're able to actually push this one a little. Good luck, looking forward to the video.
@3dAndrewJ; that may be true but you made it look easy. And one thing to be said for the Heavy Original is it was well built. Never seen another plane hit a high tension power line with WOT and then fly back to the runway for a controlled landing. :eek:

The picture below was before the plane met the power lines seen in the background.

lowest.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Nice, well since it is pre-hinged and the bevels on the control surfaces are very shallow there is no way to get "todays standard" of throws on anything but the rudder. So, I'm expecting "low and slow" 3D performance which will be awesome. I've got an old DA100 that just got back from DA with a full page of new internals so that's what I'm going to put in here. Since it was designed around that engine, seems like a perfect place for it.

Right now I'm swearing at the tail surfaces......they put a rear mounted rudder servo location but the counterbalance clears it by about 1/16" so this will take a bit of creativity to set up. Also, the sleeve going back to the tail was only large enough for two wires so I had to cut that out in order to run three wires back there. Persistence will pay.......

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I got the tail surfaces all wiggling and happy. Engine mounted, throttle servo mounted and set up, ignition installed and some of the wiring in place. My Fiji tank that I was going to recycle had some spots that looked bad so I'm going to get some fresh bottles tomorrow to make a new tank.

Fuel system, tailwheel tiller arm / springs, and aileron servos is about all that's left. Will get it wrapped up in the next couple days. I'd like to fire it up on Saturday.

Attachments

• _DSC0025.JPG
    _DSC0025.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 442
  • _DSC0026.JPG
    _DSC0026.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 464
  • _DSC0027.JPG
    _DSC0027.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 424

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I got the tail surfaces all wiggling and happy. Engine mounted, throttle servo mounted and set up, ignition installed and some of the wiring in place. My Fiji tank that I was going to recycle had some spots that looked bad so I'm going to get some fresh bottles tomorrow to make a new tank.

Fuel system, tailwheel tiller arm / springs, and aileron servos is about all that's left. Will get it wrapped up in the next couple days. I'd like to fire it up on Saturday.
That's really not that bad of a looking plane. Maybe it will fly okay huh? Stock exhaust? I don't remember if you said.....

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
That's really not that bad of a looking plane. Maybe it will fly okay huh? Stock exhaust? I don't remember if you said.....

Yea, muffs. Stock muffs were banged up pretty bad so I found some for a DLE 111 that are actually a hair smaller for just a little less interference at the front.