• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale NEW (old) Great Planes Chapman CAP 580!!!

flycanic

70cc twin V2
Great job Terry. I got to fly one of the very first batch. The plane belonged to John Hahn Owner of ABell RC Billings Mt. Awesome flying plane

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
These planes were awesome years ago. We had a h9 cap, paintball cap and a carden cap. They do stuff better than other designs and worse than others. Be a sweet bird with smoke and scale flying!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Well she's all wrapped up and ready to rock. Too bad it's going to be 9 freakin degrees and windy as hell tomorrow:(:confused:.

But, the fleet is about wrapped up for the 2015 flying season. Going to start on my warbird in the next week so my friend @iahawkflyer can't give me crap about my two year old warbird build!!!

So, the crazy thing about this cap is I took out a whole bunch of weight.....mainly from the front. Then I installed an "old" style DA100 with DLE stock mufflers and a lightweight Falcon prop. Then I put the rudder servo in the tail, and used a water bottle fuel tank to shave more weight off the front. Grand total is just over 2lb. in weight savings. And it comes out a hair nose heavy!! So I had to build in a battery tray just inside the turtle deck behind the pilot, with dual A123's and it comes out pretty good.

Grand total RTF weight..............25 lb. 1 oz. Very nice, won't be stellar power but will be plenty of power for what this plane will do. I'm looking forward to practicing Sportsman IMAC with it as soon as it's warm!

Thanks for watching, thought some of you that may have experience with this older plane would like to see it go together. Thanks again @stangflyer for the sweet deal on this bird as well.

_DSC0042.JPG
_DSC0040.JPG
_DSC0041.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC0039.JPG
    _DSC0039.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 402
  • _DSC0043.JPG
    _DSC0043.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 433

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well she's all wrapped up and ready to rock. Too bad it's going to be 9 freakin degrees and windy as hell tomorrow:(:confused:.

But, the fleet is about wrapped up for the 2015 flying season. Going to start on my warbird in the next week so my friend @iahawkflyer can't give me crap about my two year old warbird build!!!

So, the crazy thing about this cap is I took out a whole bunch of weight.....mainly from the front. Then I installed an "old" style DA100 with DLE stock mufflers and a lightweight Falcon prop. Then I put the rudder servo in the tail, and used a water bottle fuel tank to shave more weight off the front. Grand total is just over 2lb. in weight savings. And it comes out a hair nose heavy!! So I had to build in a battery tray just inside the turtle deck behind the pilot, with dual A123's and it comes out pretty good.

Grand total RTF weight..............25 lb. 1 oz. Very nice, won't be stellar power but will be plenty of power for what this plane will do. I'm looking forward to practicing Sportsman IMAC with it as soon as it's warm!

Thanks for watching, thought some of you that may have experience with this older plane would like to see it go together. Thanks again @stangflyer for the sweet deal on this bird as well.

View attachment 12228 View attachment 12226 View attachment 12227
Sooo, Sooo Sweet Terry. Glad you are happy with the Cap.....

BalsaDust

It's so pretty. So when are you gonna get back on your Cap design and will there be a thread for the warbird.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
It's so pretty. So when are you gonna get back on your Cap design and will there be a thread for the warbird.

I've got a LOT going on this summer with flying, events and other stuff but I am planning to start the proto of the CAP in mid summer. I already have the cowl, canopy is pretty close and will require a new plug at some point and the basic CAD layout is sketched out. Just need about 3-4 days to draw parts and I'm ready to start cutting. I'd look for a prototype maiden....maybe late July.

Warbird thread......probably not, it's an ARF that will be slightly modified so pretty boring for a build thread. I'll post a few things here and there.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Well it looks you put the CAP on the right "diet"! 25lbs and a DA 100 will be awesome! Looking forward to some vid!!!!

You know how I like vi......Oh wait!?.....that was pictures! lol.