• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

INVERSA 33 ARF assembly by Hanger 9. Motor OS-GT33

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I ran into a similar issue with my big Yak. There simply is "NO" resolution on the Pilot 40% Yak 54 running the 3w 210. The cylinders on the 210 are simply too large to allow a header and canister configuration setup. Stock exhaust is the only option. If I were to go to a smaller diameter cylinder engine, then the canister options open up for the Yak. Which by the way is what I am in the process of doing. But....I do see a difference between the construction of your air frame and mine. You see, my big Yak has a plate spanning the distance from left to right fuse sides. It is part of the fuse construction in the belly of the Yak and "CAN NOT" be eliminated. I don't see this on your plane. How are the gear mounted on your Inversa? If you are only shy 5/16" for clearance with your canister stinger and how it will sit in the can supports....how about using "Hardwood" blocks between the gear and the fuse? In essence, giving you the distance needed to clear the canister. The "footprint" of the gear will remain the same and surface area contact should not change. Strength of the gear supports should not be compromised either. If by adding a 5/16" hardwood block between the gear and the fuse and getting slightly longer bolts in which to mount the gear, it could be the answer you are looking for to keep you from having to do some major modifications to the fuse that could compromise the over all structural integrity of the airframe. I would honestly design and manufacture the exact duplicate size of support/plates to put between the gear and the fuse. I really think this could solve your problem.

I have to agree with you regarding the "pre" assembly of these airframes by the manufacturers. I believe for the most part, when they are drawn up on the CAD programs, good engineers will be able to see certain anomalies before they occur. However sometimes something does slip through. I think it would help in the design of an airframe if they were pre assembled when ever an airframe is designed. Perhaps some manufacturers do this. Probably some don't. Hope this suggestion is of value and helps resolve your issue.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
IMG_1491.JPG
To @WMcNabb and @stangflyer thanks to both for your suggestions. I cut And sanded the fuselage to the maximum that I was comfortable with and then added shims under the gear until the canister would slide through. Will center the canister support there and then build the header to meat up with canister. Then reinforce the fuselage as required.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Now I have to see if I can buy a small sheet 1/16 thick silicon or glue down on to the landing gear. This is to keep the gear and the canister from rubbing together.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
IMG_1494.JPG
Now that I have managed to get the canister into the plane it was time to make the header. Well it is done that was considerably more difficult than I anticipated. It was a real learning curve. And let me tell you no easy task cleaning up the header when it was all brazed. But it is done and now to do the final fitting of the canister and make the necessary supports.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
FONTARGEN AF 320. Using this brazing rod for the header. Does any of the welding experts among us now the rod and were can I buy some more. Need your help thanks.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well have not made much progress it has been slow going and difficult, getting the canister in is one thing but getting it lined up and the stinger out is another hole problem. But you know what that is like once you started cutting and then you get frustrated you really start to cut things to get it in. Hopefully it will be in by tomorrow. Once it's all in and fitting the reinforcements that have be put back in will prevent me from getting the canister out again but so be it will cross that road when I get to it. All I can say I know now why I could not find any information about anyone putting a canister in an Inversa33 it is difficult. Did find one in Germany but the plane looked pretty beat up from the install.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Still working on the canister install getting there slowly. Will supply pictures but hard to do as all the work is under the radio tray trying to hold and support the canister. This is very aggravating as you just cannot get your fingers in the right place to do what you are trying to do. Making all kinds of tolls to get in to the area to move things into place.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Has anyone silver soldered a header for a plane with a stainless steel header. If you have which silver solder did you use name, type and were did you buy it thanks.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I have silver soldered, or more appropriately, brazed the header on a couple Valach exhaust, they are a combination of stainless flex and standard header. The brazing silver I get at Ace hardware ($20) and the torch came from Home Depot ($80).

Attachments

• pACE3-980321enh-z6.jpg
    pACE3-980321enh-z6.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 244
  • 6722dfa0-8e46-4db8-b5b1-2aa73cf5e617_1000.jpg
    6722dfa0-8e46-4db8-b5b1-2aa73cf5e617_1000.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 262