• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Group Build, 20cc Profile ARF, Who's In?

flycanic

70cc twin V2
I Used a couple three bladed props Decal Dennis had told me about on the DLE 20. The Master Airscrew props, very good for different maneuvers. I also liked the single battery set up he uses and told me about Works GREAT. and keeps the Weight down. With every thing in the fuse, the only two connections when assembling at the field are the two aileron wires.Here is a short Vid on how I take off with mine (VTO'S) All the time Baby

Last edited:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
RedwingRC has their event this weekend so it'll be a few more days before I've got confirmation of a discount code from Tim and we can get going with this.

I was thinking about electric power and I misspoke in my earlier post, the 6000mah 6S packs I have should be fine as they are 25-50 C (max discharge rate) making them good for at least 25 times the capacity of 6000mah (6 amp-hours) or 25*6 which is 150 amps. The motors we're talking about for these planes seem to max out in the range of 80 to 100 amps.

Click HERE to learn more about lithium polymer (LiPo) battery packs

Just need a motor and ESC and I'm all good (and a plane :( )

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Busy day today, just got off the phone with Heather at RedwingRC.com.....

They've put together a package deal on their 20cc profile Edge 540, it's a revision 3 airframe packaged with XQ servos and a DLE 20cc gas engine. You can choose the color you'd like, whether you want side or rear exhaust, and which servos you'd like to include with your package (XQ servos will come standard, Hitec and PowerHD servos are available for a small upcharge).

Normally there is a discount when you purchase the airframe, engine, and servos together........use the coupon code GiantScaleNews20 when you check out to receive an additional $40 off!

To make the purchase and receive this discount you must use the link below and the coupon code GiantScaleNews20 (the code is case sensitive, big letters must be big, small letters must be small, no spaces :) )

Here's the link
http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4_18&products_id=580

If you've been flying foamies and hanging out at GiantScaleNews.com, this is a great opportunity to jump into a gas fueled airplane while also getting a lot of help from the community. If you've been flying nitro fueled planes and have wanted to try gas fueled engines then this is a great opportunity to jump in. If you've been flying sport planes and want an affordable true-blue 3D airframe to up your flying game, this is a great opportunity to jump in and get to learning something new!

These airplanes also do great with electric power which is still how I might go with mine, haven't decided yet.

The plan is to build mine and post pics/video as I go. I know a few other members here are either already done with theirs or getting ready to build them so there will be others contributing to the thread explaining how/why they did theirs.

Anyone can ask ANY questions they might have about the build so if you've ever wanted to give larger RC gas fueled airplanes a try, this is a great time to do it! We'll also be discussing electric options for those of you that want to put a brushless motor on the front. We don't judge here, either option will get you from the bench into the air.

Who's in? Who's kicking it around? Yellow or Red? I'm thinking yellow...........like my favorite dancing chicken!! :dancing-chicken:

Here's a video and a few pics of the RedwingRC 20cc profile Edge 540 that they are offering the discount on

20cc_edge_540_Combo_03.jpg

20cc_edge_540_Combo_07.jpg

and some specs
Specifications:

• Wing span: 1651mm / 65"
  • Wing area: 69.2 sq. dm/ 1072 sq. in
  • All up flying weight: 3100g / 6.5 lbs
  • Length: 1587.5 mm/ 62.5"
  • Engine: DLE 20 / DLE 20RA
  • Radio: 5 channel
  • Recommended Spinner Size: 2.5"
  • Recommended CG: 5.25" from the leading edge at the root
  • Recommended Prop Size: 17x6
  • Features:

• Adjustable push rods
  • Carbon fiber Wing Tube
  • Fast fly and easy build features, such as : Pre drilled hinges
  • Removable wings
  • Ball linkages

flycanic

70cc twin V2
Here is the RED-WING 20cc YAK with the Aero-Works Scheme, I am going to do. I have installed the aileron servos, using 1 1/2 SWB 4/40 arms. I have also stripped one side of the fuse to install carbon fiber reinforcement. I have made the front fuse doublers, they will be(Swiss) cheese caked to save weight. I also tri stock critical area's of this older Yak. that I know are week. I am going to use a Single Duralite 2600 battery set up and a Miracle HD Dual Switch(J-001) RED from Red-Wing RC I install the battery last in the fuse to achieve the CG I want. More to come

IMG_4333.JPG IMG_4335.JPG IMG_4336.JPG IMG_4337.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4338.JPG
    IMG_4338.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_4339.JPG
    IMG_4339.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_4340.JPG
    IMG_4340.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_4341.JPG
    IMG_4341.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:

flycanic

70cc twin V2
what do you mean by "cheese caked" to save weight?
@Bartman Drill holes in the solid front 1/32 lite ply doublers. When done they will look like a thin slice of swiss cheese. will include photo of front doublers when I have them completed and ready to glue in place