• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Good beginner jet?

FerdinandK

New to GSN!
I also had a Boomerang (I think it is a "Sprint") to start, took me save an without any problem through my jet starting time. It flies very close to what you are used too, and is very simple, smooth during landing, but the most important, it allows mistakes.

boomer7.png

It is still in our club and flying (and flying ....)

The bigger the jet, the better to see, and the easier to place all components (and also the easier to access for repairs).

Stay away from anything that looks "cool", that can be your second or third.

best regards

Ferdinand

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
Appreciate all the feed back guys. Most random thing happened as I was getting ready to answer a few of the posts on here I got a call from a friend selling a king cat in a scheme that I really like as well... Needless to say it's now mine for about a third of what it costs new. I wasn't planning on getting anything until next year but it looks like Christmas came early!

jhelber08;6666 wrote: Appreciate all the feed back guys. Most random thing happened as I was getting ready to answer a few of the posts on here I got a call from a friend selling a king cat in a scheme that I really like as well... Needless to say it's now mine for about a third of what it costs new. I wasn't planning on getting anything until next year but it looks like Christmas came early!

Congrats on your new King Cat purchase, and good luck with your new jet .

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
MattyMatt;5179 wrote: As far as a "first Jet"... there are a few things we need to consider.

What experience do you have already?

How much do you want to spend?

Do you have any size limit to transport?

Where will you fly it?

Are you more familiar with composite construction techniques or traditional balsa/ply? Which would you prefer?

Are you familiar with pneumatic systems?

Do you have anyone local that can help you with build/assembly/setup and training?

Do you plan on this being a "step" or are you looking for something you can learn on and have a good time flying the next few years?

This will help get you steered in the right direction.

All of these questions you should consider. There are a lot of really great jets on the market and choices out there.

These were a lot of the things I have considered. I have no jet experience but am surrounded by 1/2 a dozen or so jet guys with plenty of experience. I can't reAlly comment on my flying skills but have been told by them I should pick it up easy based on the way they have seen me fly. As for the jet itself, I wanted composite so that I'm not constantly working on covering and such. I also wanted something that I could learn on and then still enjoy for years to come.

c/f;5531 wrote: I am a turbine waivered jet pilot for past 14 years, i have kingcats, bobcatxl (build up), comp bobcat, cermark viper jet FB tiger F16 and a few scale ships,

My thoughts on the subject are,

the turbine itself has a lot of bits and a big learning curve, if somethimg goes wrong it usually results in a fire,

The models themself really are exposed to forces like no other aspect of the hobby, chinglesh pictures leave allot to the engineering imagination,

So my vote is the Boomerang XL, turbine semi exposed to pay attention to the details, it can be powered with wide range of turbines, lite wingloading makes learning curve of turbine lag easy, then you can upsize turbine for heavy wingloading and seriuos speeds.

I learned on a kangaroo on 300' concrete home feild with 100' grass each side, I never kangarooed it, however I bounced the kingcat allot till I dialed in cg and spoilerons,

My favorite daily beater is the composite bobcat, I fly all ole school air start AMT USA with eagel tree telemetry for speed and altitude, makes for easy first time landings at new feilds, Also one of the few who will fly on days with downwind bases.

Thanks for the feedback....the turbine being exposed is also one of the reasons I wanted a king cat/bobcat or a tornado.