• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Good beginner jet?

Do-rag;3080 wrote: I can vouch for that as it is quite impressive even at 26lbs. I had a tornado with a Rabbit in it turned down to 14lbs and it was awesome as well at least until I had a brain fart and created a large yard sale with it.

Hey, I thought you said it was a SENIOR moment. Make up you mind. LOL

Do-rag;3080 wrote: I can vouch for that as it is quite impressive even at 26lbs. I had a tornado with a Rabbit in it turned down to 14lbs and it was awesome as well at least until I had a brain fart and created a large yard sale with it.

Why turn it down? Just curious. I have a K100G on my Tornado and love the vertical but normally cruise a little over half power with the occasional "Loud" fly by. I have seen people turning down the engine but not sure exactly why.

Thanks,

Dan

why_fly_high;3118 wrote: Why turn it down? Just curious. I have a K100G on my Tornado and love the vertical but normally cruise a little over half power with the occasional "Loud" fly by. I have seen people turning down the engine but not sure exactly why.

Thanks,

Dan

Mine was well over the 200 MPH allowable speed. Plus I didn't want to over stress the airframe.

Do-rag

100cc
Basically the same reason as he stated. I realize that I could have accomplished the same thing with using common sense on the throttle. But by turning it down I took away the possibility that I might misjudge and exceed the airframes terminal velocity.

Smoothflying;1043 wrote: I'm also about to be a new jet jock. :) Going to be getting the Skymaster Viper. Have no idea about them but I guess I can learn. lol

You..... a jet jock ? Oh my word, is the the jet community in trouble now. LOL !

jhelber08;2393 wrote: I'm looking at something in the size range for a rhino or kingtech 180. That's why I was leaning towards a King Cat....that and I know 3 or 4 guys who have them and would be able to help me along.

Nothing wrong with the King Cat, but you should look into a Pirotti Models "Tuono". I have a JetCat 180 in mine and have just short of 200 flights on it and I am having a blast. The simplicity of this jet and it's flying characteristics make it easy and fun to fly. Great speed envelope.

4560=1778-116_1615.jpg
4560=1778-116_1615.jpg
4560=1776-20130929174128-34807c26-me.jpg
4560=1776-20130929174128-34807c26-me.jpg
4560=1777-IMAG0034.jpg
4560=1777-IMAG0034.jpg

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
As far as a "first Jet"... there are a few things we need to consider.

What experience do you have already?

How much do you want to spend?

Do you have any size limit to transport?

Where will you fly it?

Are you more familiar with composite construction techniques or traditional balsa/ply? Which would you prefer?

Are you familiar with pneumatic systems?

Do you have anyone local that can help you with build/assembly/setup and training?

Do you plan on this being a "step" or are you looking for something you can learn on and have a good time flying the next few years?

This will help get you steered in the right direction.

All of these questions you should consider. There are a lot of really great jets on the market and choices out there.

c-f

30cc
I am a turbine waivered jet pilot for past 14 years, i have kingcats, bobcatxl (build up), comp bobcat, cermark viper jet FB tiger F16 and a few scale ships,

My thoughts on the subject are,

the turbine itself has a lot of bits and a big learning curve, if somethimg goes wrong it usually results in a fire,

The models themself really are exposed to forces like no other aspect of the hobby, chinglesh pictures leave allot to the engineering imagination,

So my vote is the Boomerang XL, turbine semi exposed to pay attention to the details, it can be powered with wide range of turbines, lite wingloading makes learning curve of turbine lag easy, then you can upsize turbine for heavy wingloading and seriuos speeds.

I learned on a kangaroo on 300' concrete home feild with 100' grass each side, I never kangarooed it, however I bounced the kingcat allot till I dialed in cg and spoilerons,

My favorite daily beater is the composite bobcat, I fly all ole school air start AMT USA with eagel tree telemetry for speed and altitude, makes for easy first time landings at new feilds, Also one of the few who will fly on days with downwind bases.