• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Good beginner jet?

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
Looking at getting into jets and I'm sure there are a few of you who have been in my situation. I fly mainly 3d but I'm getting the itch to go fast! What would you guys recommend for a first jet? I have no interest in the scale aspect of jets. I just want something that I can progress with, not a turbine trainer so to speak. I'm leaning hard towards a king cat or bob cat. Just curious to hear from someone who's been in my shoes.

jaybird

70cc twin V2
Pilot is about to release a sport/trainer jet that looks much more "sport" than "trainer". Priced right also.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
Yeah...I've been checking that out too. Looking for something that's proven. Hopefully a few will pop up over the next few months so we can see how they do.

jaybird;877 wrote: Pilot is about to release a sport/trainer jet that looks much more "sport" than "trainer". Priced right also.

My bud Chad priced one of Pilots jets, when they were offering a full servo package. It was less than $1800 USD, if I remember right. Then add in the tur-bizzle. I think the gear was included too.... He almost bought one then..... But he chickened out.

jaybird

70cc twin V2
I was thinking it was 2900 or so with full servo package and retracts, and he is working on getting a package together including the turbine.

I'm also about to be a new jet jock. :) Going to be getting the Skymaster Viper. Have no idea about them but I guess I can learn. lol

I spent a winter building a Reaction 54. It's kinda a sport trainer, retracts, flaps, semi-symmetrical air foil. Build was quick and easy... kit, with robart retracts, and wheel brake system ~$900 shipped. Servo requirements aren't insane and i'm told that once I get my Jet Central Rabbit for it that it should top out about 145. It has a thick airfoil so it's kinda draggy, yet I hear slow flight with it is nice.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

1060=262-IMG_0138[1].jpg
1060=262-IMG_0138[1].jpg
1060=261-IMG_0139[1].jpg
1060=261-IMG_0139[1].jpg
1060=260-IMG_0228[1].jpg
1060=260-IMG_0228[1].jpg

JohnVH

30cc
Yep, the R54 is where its at, find a used one, or get on the waiting list for a kit! Here is mine: