• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight RC 91" Yak 54 build

dskuro95

100cc
I suggest not using a Hitec 5495BH. I had them in my 3DHS 87" Extra 300 for my throttle servo and 2 of them burned up in their first flight. I think it is because they are not metal gear. As I said in the beginning just a suggestion from my personal experience.

gyro

GSN Contributor
No pictures, but I got my elevator all hinged up, control horn installed and gap sealed in prep for the monster Savox servos that should show up in a few days.

Installed my throttle servo HS-5495BH but no linkage yet until the da-60 shows up.
View attachment 18284

Installed the fuel dot on the left hand side by drilling a single hole. I like the dots from JEM because of the bigger pulling surface. Works well with my hands.
View attachment 18285

Got my 4titude RTU fuel tank [go] in the mail today and did a quick test fit -- looks great especially with the blue lines. All plumbed in - at least to the fuel dot and the vent line.
View attachment 18289

Receiver batteries from FromeCo will be showing up in a few days as well as the Savox servos for the ailerons and elevator. Batteries should sit perfectly on both sides of the tank to complete the pic.Will need to get the wing hinged and ready.

That's all for now. Did get to fly my MXS today -- 5 flights with no one else at the field :)

Peace.

I suggest not using a Hitec 5495BH. I had them in my 3DHS 87" Extra 300 for my throttle servo and 2 of them burned up in their first flight. I think it is because they are not metal gear. As I said in the beginning just a suggestion from my personal experience.

I haven't used this servo before, but I remember Cody saying a Nylon geared servo is okay for throttle. That said, I'm stubborn, and always use metal just to be safe. I also look for one with two ball bearings.

dribar

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Can you help me understand why a servo would burn up or not be able to handle the throttle? It seems like such a light load for any servo. Hitec calls them "heavy duty karbonite gears".... makes it sound pretty appealing to me.

You guys are talking about the HS-5495BH HV right? I didn't include the "HV" part and it gets confused with the HS-5495HB.

I have the HS-5495BH HV
http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/sport-servos/digital-sport-servos/hs-5495bh-hv-digital-karbonite-gear-sport-servo/product

Last edited by a moderator:

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Can you help me understand why a servo would burn up or not be able to handle the throttle? It seems like such a light load for any servo. Hitec calls them "heavy duty karbonite gears".... makes it sound pretty appealing to me.

You guys are talking about the HS-5495BH HV right? I didn't include the "HV" part and it gets confused with the HS-5495HB.

I have the HS-5495BH HV
http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/sport-servos/digital-sport-servos/hs-5495bh-hv-digital-karbonite-gear-sport-servo/product

FWIW I have been using a 5495 for a while on my throttles. In fact, I had the same one on my PAU for two years, then it was moved into my 104. However, I have killed several throttle servos of different quality levels by installing them right on the motor box with a short pushrod. From now on I install my throttle servo back behind the F1 former or even near the wing tube even with a longer pushrod. In this location the heat and vibration are much less severe. The only problem with doing this is if you use gold'n'rod pushrod the pushrod will grow and shrink with temperature and the engine will have a slightly higher idle after it has warmed up, but this hasn't been an issue for me.

dskuro95

100cc
That makes sense now. Because in the 3DHS 87" SHP the servo has an area to be mounted slightly behind the firewall. That would explain why it burns up so easily.

SnowDog

yeah, I've always been told that the karbonite servo gears don't survive well with the higher vibration of gas engines.
Maybe mounting farther aft is a good solution...I'm not so sure...I'll just continue to use metal gear servos.

dribar

70cc twin V2
So what would a good Digital / HV alternative from Savox be? I'm waiting on my DA-60 to show up so there is time to get another servo.
What do you guys think?

gyro

GSN Contributor
So what would a good Digital / HV alternative from Savox be? I'm waiting on my DA-60 to show up so there is time to get another servo.
What do you guys think?

I've used the Savox SV-0220mg in my big birds.