• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
I'll have to ask him again because the last time I had an email conversation with him about this was in March. He said that he did wind a 203Kv for someone on 12S and was suggesting a 19x8 to me for that setup. He also said that based on his graph, he thought that one more turn should get it down to 190 or 195, so maybe he ruled that out all together. But every time I mentioned the 21 inch prop on 12S, he said that 20x10 should go on a 180Kv with 12S, and a 20x8 should go on a 190Kv. It was as if he didn't want to mention the 21 option on 12S. It's the only reason I went with the Hacker. Flying here in FL, Motrolfly is hands-down the coolest running motor I know.

CHQ28

50cc
It would be nice if they filled out all the sizes with all the Extra, Laser, Edge, MXS, and Yak EXPs, but a 70 or a 74 Laser or Edge would be two EXPs I'd snatch up in a heartbeat.

This is what I'm looking for. This size plane is a sweet spot for me.

quadracer

100cc
I'll have to ask him again because the last time I had an email conversation with him about this was in March. He said that he did wind a 203Kv for someone on 12S and was suggesting a 19x8 to me for that setup. He also said that based on his graph, he thought that one more turn should get it down to 190 or 195, so maybe he ruled that out all together. But every time I mentioned the 21 inch prop on 12S, he said that 20x10 should go on a 180Kv with 12S, and a 20x8 should go on a 190Kv. It was as if he didn't want to mention the 21 option on 12S. It's the only reason I went with the Hacker. Flying here in FL, Motrolfly is hands-down the coolest running motor I know.
It was probably mine, it actually ended up at 204 kv I think (haven't looked at the tag for a long time...). He recommended not going beyond a 19" prop, but I had a few 20x6s lying around, so that's what I used. I figured a 20x6 would end up pulling about the same amps as a 19x8. It's been pumping out the ponies for about 150 flights now, still going strong! Getting ready to build another 30cc frame to stuff it into. :D

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
One of the guys that shares data on another thread is actually using the 20x8 PJN on 12S on a 4330 216Kv and has been running it for a very long time... peaks over 3180W at 8102 RPMs, and settles in a 2863W and 66A. It's a great power setup, IMO, and he's been running it for a long time. You'll lose about 350W on that motor with 12S by going to a 19x8. I still may have to buy a 4330 because I typically run bigger props than suggested on all my other Motrolfly motors and never had an issue. The problem is that now I've been running 28 poles and there's a clear difference in how they operate relative to throttle response, and I like it.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Hum.......that 4330 216 on 12S 3300 with the 20x8 shows 7:30min with 3010.85 max w with your PropCalc Jim. I have a lot of 6S 3300's for my 60" Laser and Edge and did not know I could find a 78" power combo that would work without purchasing additional batteries.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hum.......that 4330 216 on 12S 3300 with the 20x8 shows 7:30min with 3010.85 max w with your PropCalc Jim. I have a lot of 6S 3300's for my 60" Laser and Edge and did not know I could find a 78" power combo that would work without purchasing additional batteries.

I've got a bunch of 3300 also... Those numbers look pretty sweet to me! :D

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
I'm still not sure I like a 20 inch prop on the 78. I'm not sure I like the 21, actually. The problem is that with 3D, the power at the top end RPMs is really not that important to me. For example, at 5000 RPMs, the 22x10 will produce 1500W and 11.5 pounds of thrust, the 21x10 will produce 1250W and 9.8 pounds of thrust, the 20x10 will produce 1025W and 8.2 pounds of thrust,and the 20x8 will produce 825W and 6.5 pounds of thrust. This means that I will typically be running at the high end of the RPM range to keep the same plane in the air with smaller props. But using my 6S 3300's in a 2-pack was my intention with the 215Kv Hacker in a 74 to 78 inch plane.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I'm still not sure I like a 20 inch prop on the 78. I'm not sure I like the 21, actually. The problem is that with 3D, the power at the top end RPMs is really not that important to me. For example, at 5000 RPMs, the 22x10 will produce 1500W and 11.5 pounds of thrust, the 21x10 will produce 1250W and 9.8 pounds of thrust, the 20x10 will produce 1025W and 8.2 pounds of thrust,and the 20x8 will produce 825W and 6.5 pounds of thrust. This means that I will typically be running at the high end of the RPM range to keep the same plane in the air with smaller props. But using my 6S 3300's in a 2-pack was my intention with the 215Kv Hacker in a 74 to 78 inch plane.

Sounds like my flying style would like the 21x10 or 20x10 if the motor can handle it without cooking. I'm a little more of the speed/high energy stuff, with a little low/slow mixed in.
If there is a motrolfly combo that allows me the speed I like and a 12s setup, I might get the electric MXS and not wait for the gas after all.

That is my intention as well. You can not compare the Hacker 14 pole motors to the 28 pole ones so I will probably go with either the 8S or 7S and use my 60" packs. I looked up those Mezon ESCs and they are just as pricey as the Scorpion ESC I used before. For 1/3 the price I think I will try the Gecko and just see how it works with the 28 pole motor. I was using a Hobbywing with my A60-6XS with no issues. Now if the Mezon was actually more efficient, than it might be worth it.

With my A60-5S, I was having issues finding enough prop to get the amps up. I even tried a 24" electric prop! I was using lower quality packs which was my main issue, but these 28 poles like big props. I am pretty sure you can run the 22x10 and get good performance. Flight time is the only issue.

quadracer

100cc
If you check Helifreak classifieds, you can find CC ICE 80 & 100 HV ESC's all day long. Those work well with Motrolfly motors