• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton 300 ml build thread.

Looking good Cam. I actually used the "bolt through the stab tube" method of attaching my stabs because I couldn't think of anything better at the time. It works fine, but I would probably do something different on my next one. As far as incidence goes; I'm probably the only person that does this, but I hate incidence meters, I've used them, gyros, levels, and I can never be truly satisfied with the results. Now I set it all up on a dead flat table and use a very precise measuring rule and true up the incidence that way. I've had very good results, and it's also a great way to at least check them against your meter.

I guess I didn't explain that very well. When I measure with the ruler, it is from the table to the leading edge of the stabs/wings, and then the same at the trailing edge, at zero incidence, they will both be the same. .  I true up the ruler with a quarter square to make sure the measurement is exact. This will also tell me if there is any bowing of the wings if you measure this at different spots along the root. I also level the fuse using the same method. I reset my incidence on my Dalton doing this and it flew much better. Either method obviously works.

I usually start with setting the wing incidence!  I have a 4ft lever that I put a digital level on top that I use that is long enough to move all along the top of the fuse to establish that the fuse IS lever or very close to 0.0 degrees!  I have found that if you use an anti-rotation pin at the back of the leading edge and donuts inside the fuse so that when you have 0.0 deg you can glue it and it won't change!  Once you get the incidence set you can work on your wing hold down method.  I basically do the same method on the stabs.  This method comes from building 4 Carden kits. 

On the sabs you can fine tune the incidence by sanding down the top or adding shims to the "L" bracket.

i proceeded to install the turtle deck.  i 1st glued the 1" strip of 3/32" balsa.  i went based on the plans, and it looks like the aft aspect of the turtle deck begins at 1/8" forward to the forward most aspect of the anti rotation stab pin hole.  
IMG_6181.JPG

here are the pics of the turtle deck after i removed my contraption to hold it on there!!! i am very happy with it!! all the edges lined up!!!
IMG_6186.JPG

IMG_6187.JPG

IMG_6188.JPG

IMG_6189.JPG

here are the pictures of the front and rear cap.  i became surprised to see the front cap was too wide and i became worried that i glued the turtle-deck too far back!!! 

but after reading some other threads and seeing pics, i realized i was dead on!! the manual that comes with this airplane has pictures on it that are misleading.  some of the pics are the build of a 260, whereby, i believe, the turtle-deck starts at the F4 Former.  

i have cut the forward TD cap to size, and glued it on.  pictures to come soon once it is glued on and set!!
IMG_6190.JPG

IMG_6191.JPG

IMG_6192.JPG

IMG_6193.JPG

IMG_6194.JPG