• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton 300 ml build thread.

The monokote came in!!! I was able to order three colors/long rolls from tower hobbies after visiting the KlassKote website.  On the KK website, they have a match chart for colors between KlassKote and Monokote.  Then I ordered those three colors as well from KlassKote.

I'm really interested in seeing how the paint shoots. I've always used ppg and its a close but not perfect match, though it does shoot very well. It was also great meeting you at Sherman last weekend. I'll have my dalton flying again next year. We'll have to compare them at another contest.

I have got a great deal done.  My home internet cable has been cut by comcast, so no internet until October 9.  I am having a very difficult time with this website and trying to post pictures or edit a post from my I- phone.

i received the presheeted stabs from Tony and I began the process of getting them installed.  I glued on the le and te.  Once that dried, I sanded everything down and I also used a planer which made things much easier.

then, I added some hard points in the root, then glued on the root plywood cap.  Once tgat dried, I sanded all tgat down and did trial fitting.  I am very happy with the fit.  

I then proceeded with the actual incidence setting of the stabs to zero and glue in the dowels for the antirotation pins on the stabs.

ok, i still do not have internet service at my home.  turns out Comcast cut my cable on saturday.  SO i have not used my home computer.  I am in my office now waiting for the next round of patients, so i will try to post as many pictures as i can.

one thing i have noticed from reading probably over 10 Dalton build threads, is that not too many people go in detail on setting the incidence.  To me, this seems to be the biggest worry i had, being that i know, if this is not correct, that bird will never fly straight. of course, among others things as well.  I wanted to make sure i nailed it, and i am glad to say now that i did.  I am very happy with how sold my stabs are.

well, allow me to share with you what i did.

i purchased some stab tubes, cf, from Graphtec.

i then obtained the pre sheeted stabs from Tony, and on them, the front and back of the stabs are sanded smooth  with the foam (Thanks Tony!!).  the root and tip side has some sheeting overhanging the foam.

i glued on the leading edge and the trailing edge, as per the plans.
image-8.jpeg

image-10.jpeg

image-9.jpeg

i then made a plan, before gluing in the plywood root cap, that i would use two hardpoints.  one hard point would work for the anti-rotation pin and for the vinyl L-bracket, and the other had point would be for a second vinyl L-bracket.  i will still use the screw thru the tube technique as well.  call me crazy!!!

image.jpeg

i am also going to use a titanium dowel, instead of the wood one.  the titanium rod will be scored so that the hysol looks it in, inside the hardwood.  smooth edges on the outside for easy in and out of the slot.
image-2.jpeg

image-3.jpeg

image-12.jpeg

once i sanded the root and tip down flush with the foam, i did a trial to make sure that the surfaces had 100% contact.  and sure enough, they did.  i was happy there as we ll!!!

so then, i glued on the root cap, and once hardened, i sanded it down and smooth.

i also wanted to be able to drill into the root side for the incidence with a bit that would not walk away.  so i ws able to find this drill bit, 1/4" at the harbor.
image-13.jpeg

image-15.jpeg

image-14.jpeg

the next step was the fun part.  i placed the fuselage on the table and elevated the tail until the incidence meter read ZERO.  i did this with three different meters, one was traditional, two were digital.  all of them read either 0 or 0.1

then, i placed one stab on, using the l-bracket and t-pins, i placed the incidence meter on the stab and rotated it til it was ZERO also.  this was then also checked with the other two meters.  then i drill just a bit to get started with the step drill.  this could only go in about 1/4", due to the length of the bit, but enough that it started the hole.  then i used the long 1/4" drill to do the rest.

i then placed the titanium dowel in and checked it, and wow!!! both were ZERO.  i was real excited about that.
image-24.jpeg

image-23.jpeg

image-22.jpeg

image-20.jpeg

image-19.jpeg

image-18.jpeg

image-17.jpeg

image-16.jpeg

BikeRacer said
I'm really interested in seeing how the paint shoots. I've always used ppg and its a close but not perfect match, though it does shoot very well. It was also great meeting you at Sherman last weekend. I'll have my dalton flying again next year. We'll have to compare them at another contest.
It was nice meeting you too!! I do not know if this airplane will be ready by next year.  But if it is, we will most definitely do that!!!