• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton 300 ml build thread.

sparkx38

50cc
My expierence is that monokote is easier to apply and wrinkles less. Ultracote seems to be a little tougher and if you get a wrinkle you can't you can poke a little hole with a stick pin and get it out with a heat gun which doesn't seem to work with monokote. Pick your poison! Are you ready to cover?

BalsaDust

I personally am really digging the covering you can get from value hobbies. I have used it on the last few planes I built and I really like the way it lays down. Easy to get wrinkles out and doesn't take a crazy amount of heat to sbrink like mono cote does.

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Go with what your used to and comfortable with, id say its the same debate as with oils or radio gear, I've heard all kinds of bad things about both, ive heard alot of good things about both, I've seen fabulous covering work done with both. Go with the colors you like is my vote.

Myself, using monokote, because its what I learned with, and the majority of professional builders/ coverers , quote using it.

Oops, forgot to answer part 2 of your question. Tower Hobby, stupid fast delivery times, usually days before quoted arrival , bulk discounts, and prefered/valued customer account ,$25.00 for 3 years, I think, and adds 25-50% savings on shipping. Cant remember the details but its worth it.

Like to see some scetches/ 3 views of what your going to do, post em when you can. Thats my favorite part.. choosing the scheme!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I use Ultra because I'm comfortable with how it works and the temperatures it gets applied with. One nice thing with Monokote is that you can use the "windex method" to put color on color where as with ultra you need to use a woodpecker and iron. Another nice thing with Mono is the colors are very rich and deep. On Ultra you can continue to shrink many times if you get wrinkles in the sun, etc. where I've heard mono you can only do it a couple times (not confirmed).

Good luck!! Looking forward to the scheme, I have a hard time with original schemes but love to cover.

IMAC FANATIC

[MENTION=110]Terryscustom[/MENTION] re: the windex method

im about t to use that method tomorrow and wanted some advice in steps, im assuming from reading other posts,that you 1: apply windex to covering 2: lay on stripe, backing removed 3: squeegee out excess windex and blot dry, tape ends down to retain tension 4: some say wait an hour.. some say let dry in place overnight 5: apply iron with low temp .. ? How low of temp? 6: use trim solvent on edges to finish application. ( optional ) sound about right? Thanks for any guidance on this.

Maybe I should have started a thread on this question but Im looking for one good answer, not a million methods that confuses me even more.

Txt me w/ a good time to call if you have an opportunity. Unless it really IS that easy to do.

IMAC FANATIC

If you go with monokote heres some handy temp numbers that seem to work real well, use a thermometer to calibrate the settings for each tool and have been having good results.

20558=13100-20140925_192131.jpg
20558=13100-20140925_192131.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I've only done it once and it was a long time ago, but your steps sound perfect and I think overnight is best. As for temps on Monokote I can't say, the temps you are showing looks more like Ultracote temps.....I think full shrink on Mono is higher. According to this page the starting tack temp is 275* for Mono: http://www.monokote.com/monoinst1.html

I use a H9 iron with a sock. The sock is a MUST! I tried using a lower temp, say around.250F. I wasnt getting good adhesion with my MonoKote to bare wood. So, I raised the temp 50F. Adhesion got better, but still not great. Went up to 350F, and I started getting somewhere.

IMAC FANATIC

Thanks guys, appreciate the info. I have a rough time with super high heat, sock or no, so I do more passss with slightly lower temps and get good shrink. Every new piece put down gets a little better and better.by the time im too the last piece it should be perfect.:distrust: