• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Choosing an air frame----frustrations!

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
there will always be things out of stock. there will always been new airframes on the horizon. but good designs are good designs and should be gotten when you can. i still think the 3dhs 87 shp and 72 extra are two of the best airframes out there, even with "newer technology" available, and so i have made sure to keep stuff for them. its worth it at a certain point to not over analyze it, get an airframe, and start enjoying it!

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
doesn't the 72 shp have wing issues? I am sure it is a great airframe. Yep, stock is revolving. Seems like when I am looking stuff is always gone.

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
first of all, i have never had an issue, and while im not has hard as joe or other top guys, i can put an airframe through the wringer decently. secondly, if all i have to do is a very minor strengthening of 1 part for the best airframe for me, then that is no problem. the best advice i have found about this is first to figure out what airframe you want. once you figure that out, decide if it is worth waiting for. if flying season is right around the corner and you want an airframe right away, then you may settle for something else. but you will always wonder what if. for me, i had a flyable airframe and wanted an 87 shp. i couldve settled for other 50cc airframes, but after OPP'ing the 87 shp and some others, i knew which plane i wanted. so i guess the lesson is wait for the one you want and you will be happier in the long run

gyro

GSN Contributor
doesn't the 72 shp have wing issues? I am sure it is a great airframe.

In my personal opinion: without a doubt.

While that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy the plane, it does mean that you should give the wings some careful attention.

Eric mentions Joe above, so I'll add that Joe personally reinforced his wings... significantly. It's described in detail in the 72" thread, so it's really a must-do on this airframe IMHO.

That said, I'm like Eric and love the 72". I actually bought a spare fuse, rudder, elevator, cowl, and motorbox for mine so I can keep flying it for a while should something happen.

Just pick out a plane that you think you'll like and get it. All the planes you're considering are quality planes, and I'm willing to bet you'll enjoy any of them.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Part of my problem stems from flying alone. Sure I see videos and read reviews. I just dont want to buy somthing I wont like. I just want somthing fairly stable. I have really improved my hovering over the winter. I want to be able to hover without it being completely squirrelly. Hold a decent knife edge. Decent to practice rollers. Can poptop and get some spin. Have the authority to do a nice waterfall. I the 78 extra is the bomb in looks. The 3dhs extra schemes dont excite me but are nice looking. The 3dhs edge looks good but really dont know a lot about it. Some of these "B grade" airframes look very, very good! Even amazingly so. Ultimately it comes down to the thumbs. I suppose none of the "modern" airframe will be too bad. It is like buying shoes to me without g them on.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryan_m

100cc
70" Velox.
Super easy to hover, it's a bit more agile than many of the other 7x" planes. Does amazing pop tops. Knife edge is crazy clean on it, only needs about a 1% mix, if anything. Depends a bit on CG. Spins like crazy. Waterfalls are awesome on it due to all the elevator authority. And it's often on sale, and is the cheapest of 3dhs' 7x" planes also.
The 78" Extra will not pop top well, but does all the rest you asked for well. It flies "bigger" though. Feels more like a 50cc bird than a 30cc one.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Hmm. Had not thought about the velox much. I have read on it a bit. Good looking plane. I tend to put in more inline with a 60" than tbe 70+ class (in my mind anyway). I do like the Idea of the 78" flying "bigger". Gotta shat or get off the pot soon. Last time I took too long and everything sold out.

EF has not gone to Toledo in many years, so unless you pick one up in the swap shop (highly unlikely), you are not going to see one there. 3DHS on the other hand will be there in full force I believe.

I got to fly my 78 a few times this weekend and is sure does fly bigger than most 30cc planes. It does not have the insane pitch authority that the Velox or Edge do, but it is still pretty good. I need to change the prop to get enough energy into it to do decent pop tops. It needs the VVRC 40 or the singles on a pipe. At this point you are into the budget 50cc category, and I have a poll and thread on this very topic.

http://3drcforums.com/showthread.php?2286-Cost-comparison-budget-60cc-versus-top-shelf-30cc