• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Choosing an air frame----frustrations!

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Good points. That is exactly the kind of pointers I need. I keep coming back to the Velox which would be about perfect. Does it have that bigger plane presentation over say a 60"? I am leaning towards gas at this point for 2 reasons. I need more charging power so gas would be more economical and the longer flight times sound fun. This leads me back to the ABZ 71" extra or 3dhs extra or Velox or EF 60' and stay smaller. I would love to do a 50cc but that starts getting pricey (budget 50 about $1400) and transport may be an issue for me. My main thing is the flying. I want something to fly and fly a lot. I am lucky enough to be able to roll out of my garage and fly.

gyro

GSN Contributor
here's some video we shot today of the AB 71 Extra on DM-4330

[video=youtube;PN0tss1JDD0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN0tss1JDD0&list=UUO8z-2lYhIT9_FzmAgOE40Q[/video]

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I just watched it on the other thread! :) Looks so much more in control on electric. Looks like a dang good airframe. Looking at a velox set up vs a 71/72 setup. The blue and white velox has to be the most wicked looking scheme ever. Very cool looking plane.

AKfreak

150cc
That was some pretty darn nice flying. If I can ever get that good, I will of achieved my goal in RC. Anyways that plane is very similar to my new plane. Mine is slightly bigger, and I am on 12S. I hope mine flys that well. I mean, how nice did that plane float. In Harrier, he could of cut the power and it would been a soft landing. So So Sweet!.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
It does look very floaty. Tons of power. Super stable harrier! It is down to tbe Velox and Extra (3DHS) or this bad boy. They all look very good. The 3DHS planes are even lighter. That does make the Velox very interesting

Last edited by a moderator:

ryan_m

100cc
advantages of higher cell count setups are: lower amps, cooler motor, easier on batteries. No more weight if done right, or barely any more, couple ounces for the extra wires. You just run 12s 2600 or even 12s3000 instead of 6s5000.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Sorry, moved that over to the build thread. I have noticed that this size seems to do really well on 6-8s. Using packs that many have around. I do understand the advantage of higher voltage setups. I assumed the Freak waz going to use the 6s 5000 he had around. Therefore in my mind one 6s 500 would be good.

With electric, I think the Velox is a great choice. 4325-425 with 6S 5000 seems like a real winner and should get decent flight time. The Extras would want the 4330 and would have a little less flight time unless you went with 6000s or a 8s setup. Gas setups I would pick the Extra.

Now if you happened to have 6s 3300 laying around from the 60" class, I think the Aerobeez would be decent with the 12s setup.

I am personally waiting on either the EF 78 MXS or the new 73" AJ Laser for my 12s electric.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
With Toledo and seff right around the corner things could get interesting. I have never owned a gas plane so that is tempting. No 6s around any longer at all. The Velox is sounding like a very fun airframe.

There is a learning curve with gas airplanes, just like glow. Engine tuning and proper setup involves some time investment. I can build an electric ARF in half the time of a gasser because of all the engine setup stuff, plus all the additional wiring (IBEC, ignition module, RPM telemetry). Twins are a little easier for me as the throttle and choke are easier, as well as the cowl cutting is less.

IF you have the charging getup, I would think electric is slightly cheaper in 30cc these days. The motor and ESC are less expensive than the good gas motors, and you don't have the addition expense of throttle servo, IBEC, good gas tank, tubing, etc. Also there are a few things you need for gassers like a fuel tank with pump, for me I need a starter, but that is just me. I have had many days flipping and flipping, and I just go get the starter and be good to go.

You have to look at batteries like fuel. They are more expensive than pump gas, and that is where you make it up with the gasser. Also putting in a 16oz tank and flying for 20 minutes is another perk.