• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Article: DOC AUSTIN - Testing: Hi Tec's New HS5070MH Servos

It may just be feel. The cube loading is very, very close between the two. I'm also running 3300 mAh packs, which might be producing the lower loading feel. I've never bothered to weigh it.

Matt

This is my first Extreme Flight plane and I love it! I've flown all 3DHS in the past but due to recent lack of availability of planes and parts from them, I decided to give Extreme Flight a try. All I can say is wow! This thing is quickly becoming one of my favorite to fly, it's a toss up between it and my 51" AJ Slick. I really like how open battery tray is, makes it easy to get batteries in and out. If the rest of there planes fly like this one, I can see myself adding several of there planes.

gyro

GSN Contributor
48" Extreme Flight Edge - Sweet :)

This is my first Extreme Flight plane and I love it! I've flown all 3DHS in the past but due to recent lack of availability of planes and parts from them, I decided to give Extreme Flight a try. All I can say is wow! This thing is quickly becoming one of my favorite to fly, it's a toss up between it and my 51" AJ Slick. I really like how open battery tray is, makes it easy to get batteries in and out. If the rest of there planes fly like this one, I can see myself adding several of there planes.

Yes, they fly like this one or better. The 48" Edge I had was awesome, and it gave me tons of confidence for other larger airplanes as well.

Congrats!!!

I saw one of these again a few weeks ago in Dallas... brought back a bunch of fond memories... I really had a lot of fun with this plane. I especially liked the german colored y/b/r scheme. Anyone fly this plane recently?

I thought it was a German scheme, until it arrived at my house and the colors reminded me of Philippe Gilbert's cycling shoes... not that I spend any Saturdays cycling since I picked up RC airplanes, but please bear with me. The yellow, especially a lighter yellow than the gold of the German flag, placed in between the black and red, more closely resembles the Belgian flag.

In an effort to write something to make this post more relevant, the EXP Edge is my first 3D plane and I love it. I re-injured the undercarriage support structure on a hard landing today and installed some more forgiving struts retrieved from a mini-ultra stick that crashed. I look forward to seeing how it takes my novice landing attempts.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I thought it was a German scheme, until it arrived at my house and the colors reminded me of Philippe Gilbert's cycling shoes... not that I spend any Saturdays cycling since I picked up RC airplanes, but please bear with me. The yellow, especially a lighter yellow than the gold of the German flag, placed in between the black and red, more closely resembles the Belgian flag.

In an effort to write something to make this post more relevant, the EXP Edge is my first 3D plane and I love it. I re-injured the undercarriage support structure on a hard landing today and installed some more forgiving struts retrieved from a mini-ultra stick that crashed. I look forward to seeing how it takes my novice landing attempts.

Congrats on your first 3D airplane.
I'm sure you've noticed that they tend to land a little different from other planes, as their CG is usually closer to neutral, and they still produce a fair amount of lift at slow speeds.

Check out this cool article on landing:
http://www.3drcforums.com/content.php?225-How-to-Land-a-3D-airplane-How-to-Land-a-3D-airplane

I thought I'd attach some photos of my undercarriage refit. The highly flexible Mini Ultra-stick struts go a long way to protect the damaged structure. The region around the undercarriage did a great job absorbing all the damage from my maiden-crash (ahem, reversed ailerons... ask me about my new preflight checklist).

In the second pic, you can see popsicle sticks CA'd to stop the landing gear buckling. The front of the mount is still intact and fortified with some CA. As you can see, Monokote repair is a skill yet to be learned. Also, you can just make out the smaller blind nuts used with the new struts.

IMGP0006.jpg

IMGP0005.jpg

hone

150cc
I thought I'd attach some photos of my undercarriage refit. The highly flexible Mini Ultra-stick struts go a long way to protect the damaged structure. The region around the undercarriage did a great job absorbing all the damage from my maiden-crash (ahem, reversed ailerons... ask me about my new preflight checklist).

In the second pic, you can see popsicle sticks CA'd to stop the landing gear buckling. The front of the mount is still intact and fortified with some CA. As you can see, Monokote repair is a skill yet to be learned. Also, you can just make out the smaller blind nuts used with the new struts.

View attachment 9560

View attachment 9561
Good job patching that up.

Small jobs like that are perfect for practicing your covering skills. It's definitely intimidating but it's not too bad.

I found this video helpful for my first covering repair. [video=youtube;Fb1Hz14VUdo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb1Hz14VUdo[/video]

Good job patching that up.

Small jobs like that are perfect for practicing your covering skills. It's definitely intimidating but it's not too bad.

Thanks! Flitetest is awesome. Now I need to find some monokote.

edit:
I was contemplating emailing EF and asking what specific colors to order. I decided to first search Extreme Flight color matching and it led me to my plane's owner's manual, which gives the exact colors by ultracote. Rock On.

Last edited by a moderator: