• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Article: DOC AUSTIN - Testing: Hi Tec's New HS5070MH Servos

rpstar

30cc
48" Extreme Flight Edge - Sweet :)

Well, crashed my EF Yak back and SEFF and finally managed to get the replacement assembled and about ready to go. Just need to set the throws and wait for the crappy weather to pass. :)

Did not realize EF had switched to ball links even on their small planes. Very stoked about that. It's got a Motrofly 2820-750 and ZTW 60A esc. The Motrofly appears to be of better quality than the Torque motors I've had so looking forward to flying it.

Attachments

• IMG_20121030_195328.jpg
    IMG_20121030_195328.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 1,334

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well, crashed my EF Yak back and SEFF and finally managed to get the replacement assembled and about ready to go. Just need to set the throws and wait for the crappy weather to pass. :)

Did not realize EF had switched to ball links even on their small planes. Very stoked about that. It's got a Motrofly 2820-750 and ZTW 60A esc. The Motrofly appears to be of better quality than the Torque motors I've had so looking forward to flying it.

I flew mine with the same ESC and motor.... what an awesome combination! What servos did you use? I put a hs-85mg on the tail of mine, as the savox SH-0255's keep frying back there... probably too much mechanical force required on such a small gear train.

Not sure if you took pics during the build, but it'd be great if you could write a mini-review!

-G

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
I've got one of the Edges too.. fantastic! I had the same motor in mine but have recently put the DM2820 in another model and put a DM3615 in the Edge. It goes great with either motor but the 3615 is just eye poppingly powerful:veryshocked:

The Edge must be the easiest plane to fly post stall that there is out there, you will love it. Just to add confusion to the servo choice debate I've been running a Savox SH-0255 on the elevator of my edge since I built it a year ago, it's been my 'go-to' model so gets flown most weekends, the servo hasn't missed a beat.

A couple of things to check before your maiden:
  • Make sure to generously CA around the motor mount plate, especially where the plate fixes to the rear former. This is the only slight weak point in the Edge's design so don't omit this step. If flying from a slightly rough grass strip you might want to put a strip of wood in to gusset the joint or use a strip of glass cloth and resin
  • The CG range in the manual is a bit tail heavy for most people. For the maiden don't put the CG any further back than about 90mm (3.5") from the LE. Your battery might have to slide well forward to achieve that CG, but so be it.

rpstar

30cc
No pics on the build. Only eventfull thing that happened was the one blind nut on the wing for the wing bolt kept stripping the nylon thread of the wing bolt. I had no thread taps but luckily still had the metal wing bolts from the crashed Yak. Used one of them to clear the threads and then the nylon wing bolt threaded in ok.

I just recycled my servos from the Yak. Pretty sure they are HS-65HBs all around. We'll see if they have any strength issues show up. Doubting it since I usually fly more aerobatic precision than anything 3d. The HS-65HB's have the same torque specs as the recommened HS-65mg but just not metal gears. Should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

EXTREME FLIGHT

SITE SPONSOR
Beware of non metal gear servos in the EXP series aircraft!!!!! Not listening to this advice has caused the loss of several of these models. The Karbonite gear sets simply won't hold up to the forces placed upon them by the huge control surfaces. Trust me on this one and save your new Edge, PLEASE!!!

gyro

GSN Contributor
I saw one of these again a few weeks ago in Dallas... brought back a bunch of fond memories... I really had a lot of fun with this plane. I especially liked the german colored y/b/r scheme. Anyone fly this plane recently?

I forget, do you have the 60" Edge laso? do you feel any differences between them, or do they fly pretty identical?

The 60" flies like the 48", but more, if that makes sense. It has a bit lower wing loading, and more power / weight. I'm still getting dialed in with it, but so far I love it.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
The 60" flies like the 48", but more, if that makes sense. It has a bit lower wing loading, and more power / weight. I'm still getting dialed in with it, but so far I love it.

The stats show the 60" to have a significantly higher wing loading, which is what you expect on a larger plane

48" = 50oz and 505 sq" (3.5 sq ft) = 14.3 oz/sq ft
60" = 96oz and 760 sq" (5.28 sq ft) = 18.2 oz/sq ft

It probably feels slower flying and 'floatier' due to the larger size, not that i've flown one:eek: