• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D 75cc 106" HyperLITE Slick 540 by Fibertech N More

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
It's early but best guess at this time would be between $7-800. Only a small differnece in materials between the 35%-42%.

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
It's early but best guess at this time would be between $7-800. Only a small differnece in materials between the 35%-42%.
Cool. I am assuming this will have foam core wings and stabs. I am wondering why most of the big name kits have gone this route while arf's are still built?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Cool. I am assuming this will have foam core wings and stabs. I am wondering why most of the big name kits have gone this route while arf's are still built?

I can't speak for Rick on this but what I find is you can build a much lighter fuse structure and the sheeted foam gives a very high level of rigidity to the fuse for both twisting and bending. Also a nice smooth sleek finish on the bottom also look much more attractive. I've done and seen things done with foam core planes that would make 90% of ARF's out there fold in half at the canopy line.

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
I
I can't speak for Rick on this but what I find is you can build a much lighter fuse structure and the sheeted foam gives a very high level of rigidity to the fuse for both twisting and bending. Also a nice smooth sleek finish on the bottom also look much more attractive. I've done and seen things done with foam core planes that would make 90% of ARF's out there fold in half at the canopy line.
interesting, so is your viper foam for the turtleneck and bottom of fuselage?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I
interesting, so is your viper foam for the turtleneck and bottom of fuselage?

Yes, that's pretty standard for most kits other than Dalton and Jtec from what I've seen. The two parts of foam on opposite sides of the fuse is where you get a ton of strength. Not that the others are not good, but the stick built bottom has to be well thought out. Dalton does a really good job of engineering the sticks in the bottom for good strength.

I'd be curious to see what @Flyrcjoe thinks on this. He's like me and is not afraid to build something and then either break it or try to break it to see what it actually holds up to.

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
Yes Terry is correct on strength and weight there is also hug amount of desing time savings and also build time. Some of it depends on the type of airframe also. Cutting foam looks easy and some of it is but there are some parts that can be a real PITA also. There is a fare amount of tweaking if done correctly. There is also added cost on tooling for templates and extra cost on machines if doing CNC. Some of this may be why ARF’s are mostly built ups but can’t say for sure. I really like the foam structure over built up especially on the wings ext on 3D type aircraft. I would say most of the kits we put out will have foam in them but again it will depend on airframe. There may be some that are composites also that are on the back burner.