• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 48" vyper

Rifraf

New to GSN!
Well, I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on the 48" Vyper. My SHP turned to matchsticks while showing a newbie what not to do when you're inverted 15' off the deck. All the electronics are ok, including the 130g equivelant motor. I've been wanting something more pattern/fast with a little bit of 3D, so I am thinking this might be the ticket. I was flying the SHP on 3S2200, but I've got some 4S2700 I'm thinking I'd like to put in the vyper. Anyone have any thoughts on if that might be too heavy?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well, I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on the 48" Vyper. My SHP turned to matchsticks while showing a newbie what not to do when you're inverted 15' off the deck. All the electronics are ok, including the 130g equivelant motor. I've been wanting something more pattern/fast with a little bit of 3D, so I am thinking this might be the ticket. I was flying the SHP on 3S2200, but I've got some 4S2700 I'm thinking I'd like to put in the vyper. Anyone have any thoughts on if that might be too heavy?

Welcome to 3DRCF! Sad to see my old SHP met it's demise, but you beat on it for a year so I suppose it's ok! :D

I ran my most recent Super Vyper with 4s 2800, (and my previous 2 Vypers with 4s 2650)and it was just fine. Make sure you mount the rudder servo in the tail for 4S flying, HS-85MG or HS-5085MG or equivalent. This plane handles the weight just fine, and in all honesty, you might like the extra few ounces!

-G

jmart95

70cc twin V2
Welcome to 3DRCF! Sad to see my old SHP met it's demise, but you beat on it for a year so I suppose it's ok! :D

I ran my most recent Super Vyper with 4s 2800, (and my previous 2 Vypers with 4s 2650)and it was just fine. Make sure you mount the rudder servo in the tail for 4S flying, HS-85MG or HS-5085MG or equivalent. This plane handles the weight just fine, and in all honesty, you might like the extra few ounces!

-G
What'd you think of the super viper? Been wanting to try my hands at a little bit of pattern flying(been thinking about a 62 osiris) but a 3d capable pattern plane sounds like it may be more fun for everyday flying

gyro

GSN Contributor
What'd you think of the super viper? Been wanting to try my hands at a little bit of pattern flying(been thinking about a 62 osiris) but a 3d capable pattern plane sounds like it may be more fun for everyday flying

I had 3... So obviously I'm not afraid to buy one, they're awesome! The first one was what gave me the confidence to fly KE and start to feel comfy on as balsa plane. If not for a mid air, I'd still have it!

I sold the second as I just never clicked with the yellow scheme (they're slower, right Mike?)
I sold the third one at FLI Dallas; since I don't have a close field, I don't fly frequently. When I do go, I like to fly my big gassers, so the Vyper was just sitting around.

So what I'm getting at, is that it is definitely a fun airplane. I like that it can fly in plenty of wind easily, and also how well it locks in during KE, point rolls, and other precision maneuvers.

Also, if you set it up on 3s, you can use the same batteries as your 47" SHP.

Hope this helps!

-G

Rifraf

New to GSN!
Well, I pulled the trigger on the red 48". Looking forward to it!!! I'll start out with the 4S2700, HS-85MG and a 12x7 prop (I usually go up one in pitch from recommended since I'm at 6000'). Should be pretty quick, considering that the EP motor you gave me with the SHP was 930KV. I tested it out today, seems to have survived the crash just fine.

jmart95

70cc twin V2
I had 3... So obviously I'm not afraid to buy one, they're awesome! The first one was what gave me the confidence to fly KE and start to feel comfy on as balsa plane. If not for a mid air, I'd still have it!

I sold the second as I just never clicked with the yellow scheme (they're slower, right Mike?)
I sold the third one at FLI Dallas; since I don't have a close field, I don't fly frequently. When I do go, I like to fly my big gassers, so the Vyper was just sitting around.

So what I'm getting at, is that it is definitely a fun airplane. I like that it can fly in plenty of wind easily, and also how well it locks in during KE, point rolls, and other precision maneuvers.

Also, if you set it up on 3s, you can use the same batteries as your 47" SHP.

Hope this helps!

-G
Thanks! I'm tending to believe this should be my next plane, just take the equipment from my 48 mxs and I'll be ready to go. We get some weird wind at our field(it's completely surrounded by trees which causes some crazy spots if you're flying low) so having a plane that handles the wind well is a huge plus considering I fly only 48 in. planes most of the time.

SnowDog

This is a good plane for windy situations. I fly my 46" Vyper (V1) in any and all wind conditions. The only Vyper that flies better than this one is the 65" Vyper ;) which I also have! You will be glad you got this airframe and I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely. :) Let us know!

Rifraf

New to GSN!
I received my Vyper yesterday and started the build today. This is the first 3dhs kit I've assembled, and I have to say I am extremely impressed in the quality of the parts out of the box. Even the packing of the box was both minimal and top notch at the same time.

On a separate note, while out for supplies on the build, i came across an ad for and picked up a killer deal on a never flown 64" MXS tonight, that should be fun!

All made possible by smashing that SHP!