• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 48" vyper

Mike P

30cc
I am getting the yellow one for my son He wants me to put a glow engine on it would an os 40 fx be enough for this airframe Ive done a few elctric to glow conversions so it should not be a problem I just dont want to underpower it He will be flying mostly precision and pattern with this one and of course a little 3d
Thanks Mike

SnowDog

how much does the OS 40 engine weigh? compare that to the weight of the recommended electric motors see the weight difference. This will tell you how much extra knows wat you are dealing with. I am Not sure you will be able to balance the airframe in the correct CG with a heavy Glow engine on the front.

Also, the cowl on the Vyper is very small; I can't see how you would have any cowl left after you put a glow engine on it.

Why does he want a glow engine on this plane?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike P

30cc
The engine with muffler is 13.6 oz. the omega 130 with hacker x pro 55 esc and 2600 mah 3 s battery is around 14 ozs so the weight should not be an issue
he wants glow because he likes the sound of the gas / glow engines vs the "toy" sound of electric
He's 10, impatient and does not like waiting for the batteries to charge I have 4 batteries for his 47" extra and that gives him 40 minutes of flying time. when he flys the gassers or glow its 15 minutes land refuel fly again all day long

Seems like an OS 40 would be too much. That engine flies a Ucando with a 57 inch wing span. I have seen electric to glow conversion charts somewhere which might help you. Now that I think about it an Omega 130 flies the Vyper. It is a 130 gram motor. I think that would be close to a 15-25 sized glow.

The 60 inch EF Extra was flown on a 292 gram electric motor. The glow engine used on that plane was a 4 stroke Saito 72 which was comparable to an OS 46.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike P

30cc
well I ordered it today thanks to the octoberfest promotion
Ive been studying the manual and the glow conversion looks like it will be fairly easy. the motor mount will be removed and I'll build a shorter version from lite ply and carbon fiber for reinforcement.
I think 40 fx is equivelant to 800 watts the omega 130 can produce 700 W on 4 cells so it will be slightly overpowered but that should help with the slower spool up of the glow engine I cant wait to dig into this one

well I ordered it today thanks to the octoberfest promotion
Ive been studying the manual and the glow conversion looks like it will be fairly easy. the motor mount will be removed and I'll build a shorter version from lite ply and carbon fiber for reinforcement.
I think 40 fx is equivelant to 800 watts the omega 130 can produce 700 W on 4 cells so it will be slightly overpowered but that should help with the slower spool up of the glow engine I cant wait to dig into this one

Please keep us posted on how the conversion goes....with pics would be great :grrreat:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hoping to start building my 3rd 48" Vyper next week :)

Going with:
Motrolfly 2820-855kv motor on 4s spinning a 13x6.5
ZTW 70A ESC
ZTW 6v BEC
Solar Servos (3 D654, 1 D657)
Spektrum AR6210 & TM1000