• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 35% Krill Extra 330SC....CUSTOM-ARF!!!

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!

Wacobipe

100cc
CANOPY - I hate canopy screws and really wanted to try a hinged canopy. So....after a couple of different ideas and mockups I finalized on one that looks very scale and is light weight.

The hinges are aluminum, 2-piece, with a stainless pin, from McMaster-Carr. After cutting out the two spots where they will go, I glued (Hysol) carbon fiber/balsa laminate (from ACP Composites) under each to bridge the cut out and restore strength to the fuse sides.

One ½ of each hinge is mounted vertically inside the fuse on the original hard-point for the stock canopy screws. The other ½ is mounted to the canopy rail, which also has a CF/balsa laminate strip glued inside. Additionally, had to add a CF/balsa bulkhead at the rear of the canopy to stiffen the whole thing, as it tended to flop around a bit when open.

Pics describe it better....

View attachment 1460 View attachment 1461 View attachment 1462 View attachment 1463 View attachment 1464 View attachment 1465 View attachment 1466

Code:
 Next installment will be the latches on the opposite side.
Hi Pistolera... I am planning to steal your idea for the hinged canopy and use it on my raven. Can you give me more details on the hinges you used...I have perused McMaster Carr and suspect you modified something as I cannot find exactly what you show...Thanks!

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
I think I found them...Are they these? http://www.mcmaster.com/#15195A48
I'm pretty sure those are the ones....they're the only AL ones! I looked back thru my order history , but they're too far back (tells me how far I drug this thing along:().

Here's some more pics....I can't measure mine as they're packed away in boxes at the moment.
DSC00398LR.jpg
DSC00408.JPG