• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 35% Krill Extra 330SC....CUSTOM-ARF!!!

yakken

100cc
Are you coming to mine this year. Pegasus wants to put on a giant scale event this year to.

Last edited:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
OK...since I put painting my Krill on hold (again), awaiting our move and my new heated shop (YAY) I thought I'd highjack my own thread for a little experiment on Cap't. Jack's Raven. So...here 'tis...

I really don't like the look of 2-place canopies on aerobatic planes, whether they are scale to the original or not. With the help of Rick (FiberTech) and Terry (Terry's Custom) I decided to make a new single place canopy for the 42% Raven. Rick had a nice canopy that will work perfectly and Terry gave me the inspiration after looking at his builds, photos and videos.

I'm just in the initial stages...canopy rough cut and some foam bulkheads cut. I plan on doing a combo of 1/8 lite ply and pink for the formers, plus a ply stringer/spine running along the deck center-line back to the canopy (where the ruler is). I'll use pink foam stringers inletted into the foam bulkheads for additional support for the balsa sheeting. Then light glassing over the balsa, fill and paint.

The pics just show some of the foam formers mocked up. Should be cutting some ply soon. In mt opinion the single place really changes the look of the Raven...for the better! Cheers :cheers:
DSC04015.JPG

DSC04012.JPG DSC04014.JPG

1. Looking sharp!
2. Please post some before and after shots. I know I've seen the plane before here or at FG, but will be nice to see them in one place.
3. What are the bases of your stands? Cool idea.
4. Where'd the motor go?

BJ Swope

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
OK...since I put painting my Krill on hold (again), awaiting our move and my new heated shop (YAY) I thought I'd highjack my own thread for a little experiment on Cap't. Jack's Raven. So...here 'tis...

I really don't like the look of 2-place canopies on aerobatic planes, whether they are scale to the original or not. With the help of Rick (FiberTech) and Terry (Terry's Custom) I decided to make a new single place canopy for the 42% Raven. Rick had a nice canopy that will work perfectly and Terry gave me the inspiration after looking at his builds, photos and videos.

I'm just in the initial stages...canopy rough cut and some foam bulkheads cut. I plan on doing a combo of 1/8 lite ply and pink for the formers, plus a ply stringer/spine running along the deck center-line back to the canopy (where the ruler is). I'll use pink foam stringers inletted into the foam bulkheads for additional support for the balsa sheeting. Then light glassing over the balsa, fill and paint.

The pics just show some of the foam formers mocked up. Should be cutting some ply soon. In mt opinion the single place really changes the look of the Raven...for the better! Cheers :cheers:
View attachment 8929
View attachment 8927 View attachment 8928

Thats a cool idea for an airplane stand!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
OH heck yeah Earle. Great idea on the stands. Makes it nice having adjustable height too huh? By the way, I really like, like, like your idea of the single seat canopy design!!! Can't wait to see the finished product photos. Very cool indeed. So cool in fact, I am certain I am going to set myself up that little idea of yours when I start the build on the PAU 300. :banana-dance::yesss::banana-dance::yesss::banana-dance:

Last edited:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Thanks guys! The 150 is back at DA for bearings!
As for the stands....the front stand is an inexpensive adjustable (height) clothes rack (even has wheels to roll it around). The rear stand is a music stand with a pad and Velcro strap. The Krill has a narrow enough gear that you can swing it all the way thru vertical to turn the fuse upside down. The Raven is too wide for the gear to pass thru the legs.
DSC01085LR.jpg

DSC01081LR.jpg DSC01087LR.jpg DSC01089.JPG