• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 35% Krill Extra 330SC....CUSTOM-ARF!!!

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
hey Earle, i was showing my friend Dave or dwdixon pics of your s-1t and he wanted to know if you knew... back in the day. Dan Rhin or Jack Gladish His family is big into aviation and friends with those pilots. He built the dr-107 with Dan and his Dad was pals with Jack. these guys were active in california most of the time but made it back for some nationals. Just would be cool that you guys may have crossed paths years ago and never knew it. thanks for your time. Brian

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
I met Dan several times at the Nats in Sherman, TX. Not sure if I met Jack, but his name rings a bell. Dan was instrumental in the development of several unlimited aerobatic machines and his One-Design was certainly a unique idea and performed well, but never caught fire on the competition scene.

Here's a one-off bipe....Rory Moore's Goshawk.... 300HP unlimited machine. This was designed and built by Dan Rihn and Rich Bastian (custom aerobatic builder for many back in the day). This was all a few years before the Pitts S-1-11 "Super Stinker" came into being.

I had discussed buying the Goshawk from Rory as my Pitts was being outclassed by the big engine'd stuff coming into the sport, but he finally decided not to sell it.

Before I quit competing in '92 I had a 300HP tapered wing bipe designed by Acro Specialties, but pulled out of the project. The fuse had been completed and was sold to someone else who had other wings put on it....sorry to say it never made a good showing in competition.

Anyway....the Goshawk!
Goshawk.jpg

Goshawk 2.jpg Goshawk 3.jpg

Last edited:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
I remember Dan's design efforts on an IO-720 powered Pitts, in addition to the Goshawk and Phoenix.

Found a reprint of the Sport Aviation article...

http://dr107.net/Articles/Beyond_the_Pitts/beyondthepitts.htm
Thanks for posting that....I've got it around here somewhere!
Pistolera do you still fly fullscale airplanes and what do you fly?
I haven't flown aerobatics since I quit in '92. My wife & I are both pilots, but we sold our last airplane (1951 Ryan Navion) in 2013. I don't expect to get back into full scale again.....kinda been there, done that. Not to mention the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ :oblong: