• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale World Models 1/3 Super Cub Project

sweetpea

100cc
They are pricey, but nice! Your only other good option are the H9 Cub tires, but they are not quite large enough to be "Tundra". But more affordable.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Found a cool pic of the super cub, super II and carbon ss. Wonder if any one offers cowls made like the carbon ss. Would be cool to make this in to a carbon cub ss.

cubs.jpg

M

Matt

@Bartman how do you feel about the overall quality of this airplane? Is the build up there with say an aero-works or hangar 9? Just looking for an honest opinion as I really am liking this airplane and the price

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
A few final details in getting the wing control surfaces hooked up and we'll be on to the fuselage, engine, and final controls set-up!

Overall a great ARF so far but installing the servos in the wings turned up a few small challenges, like less than perfect pushrods for the ailerons and flaps and pre-drilled holes for the control horns that didn't line up with the servo arms. Not a big problem though as we show, a little trial and error and everything is moving right along!

Parts substituted from the stock parts include;
5" Hangar 9 Pro Links for the aileron push rods
4.33" RedwingRC titanium pushrods for the flaps
SWB servo arms for the aileron servos
4-40 ball links for the servo side of the aileron connections

9 to 12" extensions are needed for the flap servos and 36" extensions are needed for the aileron servos.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
@Bartman how do you feel about the overall quality of this airplane? Is the build up there with say an aero-works or hangar 9? Just looking for an honest opinion as I really am liking this airplane and the price
Matt, so far it seems pretty cool. It's not a very scale airplane but you can definitely tell that it's a Super Cub. I saw Dave Sullivan flying his 1/3 scale World Models Clipped Wing Cub at Joe Nall and also watched @SupaTim 's Clipped Wing Cub video before starting the build. Other people have already chimed in during this thread with generally positive comments so I'm optimistic it'll work out great when it's done. The toughlon covering material is tight and really shiny and so far I haven't come across any problems that couldn't be resolved easily.

I'll be doing a video this week when I have all of the hardware and stuff installed for the wings and then it'll be on to the fuselage. If nothing bad happens and the weather doesn't get too bad it might fly by the end of the month.

Bart

M

Matt

You are the man I look forward to a flight report as well... For the price and size of this airplane it's a bargain

pawnshopmike

Staff member
A few final details in getting the wing control surfaces hooked up and we'll be on to the fuselage, engine, and final controls set-up!

Overall a great ARF so far but installing the servos in the wings turned up a few small challenges, like less than perfect pushrods for the ailerons and flaps and pre-drilled holes for the control horns that didn't line up with the servo arms. Not a big problem though as we show, a little trial and error and everything is moving right along!

Parts substituted from the stock parts include;
5" Hangar 9 Pro Links for the aileron push rods
4.33" RedwingRC titanium pushrods for the flaps
SWB servo arms for the aileron servos
4-40 ball links for the servo side of the aileron connections

9 to 12" extensions are needed for the flap servos and 36" extensions are needed for the aileron servos.

Excellent video Bart. Great info.:way_to_go:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Nice plane Bart. I had a 1/3 scale cub by world models back in 2000. It was covered in yellow solar-tex. 138" wingspan. One of the first giant cub ARF's of that period. The only other option was scratch it out or build the BUSA kit.

I found AW carbon ss cowl and it wont fit. Front of the carbon cub is rounded at F-1 and not flat sided:(. But! Does not mean some "kit bashing" can't be done to make it work :).

carbon cowl.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I found AW carbon ss cowl and it wont fit. Front of the carbon cub is rounded at F-1 and not flat sided:(. But! Does not mean some "kit bashing" can't be done to make it work :).
That's probably a result of the Carbon Cub not being a rag and tube airframe so they're able to soften some of the sharp corners, but I don't know that for sure.