• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale World Models 1/3 Super Cub Project

Madinpensacola

70cc twin V2
Awesome! Which hardware pieces are you talking about? I noticed the steel pushrods need a good coating of paint or something to avoid rusting. Anything else? What did you replace yours with?
Personally, I replaced both the main and tail landing gear. The front was too stiff and the back was too industrial for me. It'll do fine with both I'm sure but I replaced my main with Robart fully articulated "scale" gear and the tail wheel assembly with an old Aeroworks, 35% tail wheel assembly I had laying around. I just went for function and am not at all worried about "scale". This is my "beater", just have fun with it by doing the unexpected plane (DA100 and smoke). I also replaced all of the linkage hardware. The threaded rods had hardly any threads and the metal was brittle.
:laughing:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
ok, thanks for chiming in. i was looking at it again this morning and for what i'm planning to do with it i think the stock gear will actually be better but i'm going to oxy-acetylene weld the joints and wrap them with fabric to be a little closer to scale. i'll probably pick up a pair of the DuBro cub wheels.

heading down into the shop right now to extend servo wires for the wings and to get the servos mounted. need to take a close look at the strut mounting points also to see if there's anything there that needs to be done. and the Packers are playing, so have to keep one eye on the tube

pawnshopmike

Staff member
AWESOME! Great videos and pics @Bartman . The plane looks great. I think you scored big with this find.

And thanks for all the EP&G plugs.:way_to_go: But really, my part was easy. You're tasked with all the hard stuff.:D

pawnshopmike

Staff member
ok, thanks for chiming in. i was looking at it again this morning and for what i'm planning to do with it i think the stock gear will actually be better but i'm going to oxy-acetylene weld the joints and wrap them with fabric to be a little closer to scale. i'll probably pick up a pair of the DuBro cub wheels.

heading down into the shop right now to extend servo wires for the wings and to get the servos mounted. need to take a close look at the strut mounting points also to see if there's anything there that needs to be done. and the Packers are playing, so have to keep one eye on the tube

@Bartman , don't buy a set of wheels just yet. I think I have a set of the DuBro's at the shop. I'll check first thing in the morning. If so, I'll donate them to the cause.

sweetpea

100cc
I bought RTL, hangar 9 and dubro HD screws, linkages. Basically I got rid of all the Chinese stuff. I built a tray for the electronics so when you open the door its all there. I never did get around to a trick door handle. I used magnets at first but the 106 blew it open so I used a 4-40 bolt.

For the wheels I used stock tailwheel and dubro cub tires. I painted the hubs white and the cub letters black. Don't use the stock ones they suck. The dubros allow a 28*10 prop but its not forgiving for any bounced landings so stuck to 27*10 after I broke one and a friend broke one. I bought floats but I have not glassed or built the framing yet.

I ziptied the struts. After a couple years the rubber oring gave out. I also built a fed ex style parachute/candy box. Fits under the plane. I have build thread on the old site.

sweetpea

100cc
I love this plane. And you can beat the crap out of it.

Almost forgot. I retapped the strut blindnuts in the wing for 4-40 as it was some Chinese thread. Also I installed 2 1/4x20 bolts in each wing and use nylon wing nuts to hold it on. I didn't trust the instruction book method.
cub.jpg