• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Wattaplane/Skywing 48" EPP/PLY hybrid Slick

When I ordered mine from best value it said " 3 in stock"......6 other guys said they ordered and it still said " 3 in stock". I don't think they 've got the stock automated yet,also don't know why they always list it at 3.

Gyro, if you don't get a paypal email by tomorrow, email the website again, you should get a quick response.

And the Slickness is definitely contagious ...so contagious an Sbach guy is considering one over on RCgroups.

I haven't been able to fly mine yet, thanks to this crummy weather...so living vicariously through others right now. VR Eyedoc is a flying buddy of feda, he put up a short video of some easy maneuvers he did on his maiden flight in low wind. From what I saw it had minimal coupling in knife edge (he confirmed that he had to add 5% elevator mix to knife edge on left rudder, zero going the other way ) and it just looked to fly "heavier" ( also confirmed that it felt like it carried more momentum, and felt heavier)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X1kxOBEFbF4

vid courtesy of vreyedoc

One bit of info on both the Slick and the Edge. the one negative on both planes so far seems to be the landing gear mount. Seems the nylon bolts they chose are either too small, or too brittle. Some guys are breaking them more often then others. Groovejet is trying to come up with a wire setup. A couple of guys have switched the nylon bolts out for steel with rubber washers under them.
Two pointers on the build, most guys are recommending sealing the motor box up with thin ca, as well as the landing gear box, and a spacer block under the Carbon landing gear to make it easier to remove the nylon bolts when they break.

As far as the gear issue goes, Skywing is aware of it, and trying to come up with a solution to it. So far the large majority of the owners are ok with it, and some are claiming no issues at all.

We ordered a blue one for an official site review.

Edit: We THINK we ordered a blue one. After completing the paypal payment, we got a HTTP 500 error code. When when we navigated back to the site, the plane is still there in the cart waiting for payment. Called their phone number and left a message. Hopefully we get an airplane out of this?? :confused:

Excellent Gary! Great to hear, I will be looking forwards to it and how it compares to the 3DHS Branded EPP Planes.

Man my thought process is getting weak...just thought of something else.
When I built mine, I installed blind nuts in the fire wall and used 3mm socket head screws to hold my motor mount to the firewall instead of the wood screws supplied..so far I'm the only one who's done that. Everyone else is running the wood screws, holes hardened with CA.

The other bit of info is one of the rcg members is planning on a 800 watt motrofly setup on his plane...I'll keep you guys informed on that. Can't wait to see it myself.. ( more power...with binford tools..... I can rewire it )

gyro

GSN Contributor
Update: got an email from the owner Max, and our order was competed... So the plane is on the way!

-note: we also have a 3dhs 40" EPP already in the review queue...

800 watts, in a 48" foamie? Sweet Jesus. :tongue:

I'm thinking about it too... I've got a 2820-855 available... Not sure yet. Can also throw in an Omega 130g, which is probably what I'll do.