• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

VVRC 40cc Twin

HELLFIRE

30cc
Ohio AV8TOR;15837 wrote: Well looks like no spark either as I finally have gas to the carb but no pop so I tried removing one plug and when I place the magnet under the sensor no spark. My DA60 needed to be flipped but the REXCel should not right?

Try turning the prop thru compression and listen close to the sparkplug boot if you hear a little snap it is sparking you just may not see it. Also the carb on these 40cc like to be wet before they start. First off if you have your needles set as per manual do this!! I sent SupaTim a text and he helped me get mine started. First open you low end a hair more than the manual says. It was too lean to start mine. Then open the high to 2 full turns. You need to really get some speed happening when you hand flip this engine to get it to fire. I literally wind up and slap the prop thru with a heavy glove and it starts up super easy now!!! Just sharing what works for me.. I flipped this little sucker for 1.5 hrs and all it would do is pop and not start. I got mad and gave the prop a big hard slap thru compression and it fired right up!!! Speed is the key!!

O

Ohio AV8TOR

I pulled the plug and tested and no spark. Going to try and call Tim tomorrow. As I have a new AeroTech IBEC I bypassed that with a 2S LiFe and still no spark. Is there a way to test the Hall sensor?

O

Ohio AV8TOR

So all is good now and I heard music when it ran. Ok I learned something new, there is an up side and a down side to the hall sensor and it only works in one way. The polarity to the diode must repel. I borrowed a friends PT36 engine and independently tested everything and quickly I knew it was my hall sensor. I had it out at one point and although it looks the exact same way it only works the right way. I fired it up today and wow does it live up to the comments of smooth.

Patroller

70cc twin V2
I am using a Mej 21x8 prop on mine paired with my EF 78 Extra. Its not my fastest plane, but it is smooth and keeps the noise down a little. I usually use a starter on mine, I have a small 4s lipo strapped to my old sulivan starter and it works quite well.

O

Ohio AV8TOR

I have a question for you guys, when you bring up your prop to the start flipping position how far away is your magnet from the hall sensor? I don't know if it's the fact that the engine new does not feel as much compression but the starting position seems to have the magnet too close to the hall sensor. I am thinking that could be why people really feel you have to flip hard and fast. Maybe the spark pickup passes before the flip is at speed. My DA60 at the at the 2 o'clock position the prop is stopped against the compression where on my 40 it just feels like you can keep creeping it forward and through the compression range. I am guessing this is the new motor condition.

O

Ohio AV8TOR

Patroller;16634 wrote: I usually use a starter on mine, I have a small 4s lipo strapped to my old sulivan starter and it works quite well.

I have an old starter (gear driven) that has no name it that I pick up a long time ago. That starts my 40 nicely with a 4S. Do you mind if I ask how you hold your plane while starting it or do you have someone holding the plane to take the pressure required to push against the cone.

What size 4S are you using?

Patroller

70cc twin V2
Ohio AV8TOR;17726 wrote: I have an old starter (gear driven) that has no name it that I pick up a long time ago. That starts my 40 nicely with a 4S. Do you mind if I ask how you hold your plane while starting it or do you have someone holding the plane to take the pressure required to push against the cone.

What size 4S are you using?

I have the large Airopult unit that works well for starting my VVRC 40 and my DA120. I am pretty cautious standing in front of these engines so I also have a strap that holds the tail. I also bought a case for a tripod off ebay and use that as a case that holds the restraint, the strap, my leather glove as well as a hammer and a couple stakes.

The 4s battery I am using is about 2600 may. It's is a cheap nano tech. I have seen others glue them to the side of the starters, I just have a large strap of velcro that holds it all in place.

O

Ohio AV8TOR

Patroller;16634 wrote:

I usually use a starter on mine, I have a small 4s lipo strapped to my old sulivan starter and it works quite well.

Just curious what your starting procedure is with when using a starter, (throttle position, choking procedure, etc)

That Airopult system looks pretty awesome. I have a very good restraint for runup but not for pushing against.

Patroller

70cc twin V2
I start using the same technique that you use if flipping by hand. I first prime it by bumping against the compression to prime the lines, then witt the choke on and about 25% throttle I hand flip it until in pops. Then if I don't want to mess with an attempt to start by hand I put the starter on it and usually it is going right away. I keep the throttle at the same 25%.

Most of the time I try and start it by hand, about half the time it works. I usually give up after about 10 flips. Then I put the starter on it. Sometimes I have to re choke the engine before it will start though.

It all depends on if I have others waiting to fly and how impatient I am. My DA120 definitely starts easier by hand. I already owned the starter and use it with my glow planes, which I only use for training others.