• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Twisted Hobbys Owner's Thread!!

wedoitall

got to fully maiden my 32" edge today. WOW made me look like a good pilot. im in love. its easier to fly than on a sim. was doing elevators, parachutes, and some decent(for a noob) hovers. pretty sure i sold my flying buddys on twisted hobbys planes, they were amazed that somebody thats only been flying for a total of 3 months was doing 3d. gonna get up with the chickens in the morning to fly before work. cant wait!

gyro

GSN Contributor
got to fully maiden my 32" edge today. WOW made me look like a good pilot. im in love. its easier to fly than on a sim. was doing elevators, parachutes, and some decent(for a noob) hovers. pretty sure i sold my flying buddys on twisted hobbys planes, they were amazed that somebody thats only been flying for a total of 3 months was doing 3d. gonna get up with the chickens in the morning to fly before work. cant wait!

sweet! very happy that you've found so much pleasure in your purchase. I know you spent a lot of time learning and asking questions, and seems to have paid off. Enjoy the airplane!

wedoitall

i reallly appreciate your guys advice and help. im sure ill have more noobular questions tho. supposed to get the dx8 in the mail box today hehe

wedoitall

ive read some articles and post on balancing and trimming aerobatic and 3d planes. but it seems that most are for non epp planes. you guys that have the flat epp's how to you go about balance'n and trim'n your plane at the field.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I have been out of town all week on business and just had to fly today in spite of too many projects and strong wind. Anyway took my CY out and had a ball even though it was more flike flying a stunt kite than a plane. It was fun doing stationary rollers into the wind.

Does anyone not like the black canopy? With the wings banked the SFG's which are black seems to wash and blend into the canopy, at least for me.

njswede

150cc
ive read some articles and post on balancing and trimming aerobatic and 3d planes. but it seems that most are for non epp planes. you guys that have the flat epp's how to you go about balance'n and trim'n your plane at the field.

Here's my opinion: It's great that you're reading all this stuff, because it makes you understand how things work and why you want to trim and mix. In fact, I like your style a lot. You don't take anything for granted, but you ask questions and try to build up your knowledge piece by piece.

That being said, when it comes to your flat EPP foamies, I think it's more the spirit of those articles you want to have in mind, rather than the exact procedures. Flat EPP foamies are pretty inexact in their design and their flying characteristics. Also, people tend to put pretty cheap servos in their foamies, and those servos may not center perfectly, so chances are that your trim isn't going to be worth that much anyway. Make sure your trim is decent and your CG is about where it's supposed to be and then go fly the snot out of it. It's OK to experiment with the CG to e.g. see what it feels like to fly a tail heavy plane. You don't want to do that with your 50cc balsa model... :) And by all means, if you want to experiment with a KE mix on your foamie, it's probably the best place to do it, since whatever happens, you probably won't cause any lasting damage to the model.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is to relax and have fun with your foamie, but that you're doing the right thing by trying to learn as much as possible.

Study, fly, experiment, fly again. Rinse and repeat!

wedoitall

you got me peg'd Swede. i do overthink. AND im trying to learn as much as possible as fast as i can. in the last 3 months ive pretty much eat, sleep, breathe planes.
i know im not gonna be able to do alot of technical things as far as thrust, incidence and all. mainly it is CG i think im have'n to study. i can get the plane trimmed pretty good. CG and wind i think is make'n me over think stuff. the edge doesnt do so well on the wind. hey also i read that sport/aerobatic usually want a neutral or nose heavy plane and slight aft for 3d. but what if you wanna do both? just try to get it neutral as possible? when you test cg in the air on the epp, how do you do it? so far i just tested by flying inverted and adjusted from there.

i have my battery as far back as possible and its still nose heavy. its so far back, the elevator servo horn is almost touching it when on full rates. didnt think i wanted to try and add weight to this plane. i added just a tiny bit of weight on my t-28 trojan once and could tell a big difference in the way it handled, its quite a bit heavier than the TH edge

as soon as i feel confident i definetly wanna get something that handles the wind alil better. full fuse epp or better. othere than that i really dig the TH edge. can fly low and real slow and the thing is tuff.

sorry in advance for blab'n and the noob post and questions.