• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Twisted Hobbys Owner's Thread!!

njswede

150cc
Keep in mind I'm a noob too. But yeah, I just put the CG about where the manual says it should be and then do the inverted test. I fly it upright at about 3/4 throttle and make trim it so it flies hands off. Then I flip it over and I want it to just require a little bit of down elevator to maintain altitude. You absolutely don't want the nose to pitch up when inverted!

Some people will tell you that a 3D plane should be a bit tail heavy, but most really good pilots I've talked to want their planes fairly neutral. Given how hard it is to fly a tail heavy plane, that's probably where you want to start. On the other hand, you definitely don't want it nose heavy. It's going to make it want to fall out of harriers and hovers.

And don't be sorry for the noob questions! This forum would be pretty useless if it didn't allow and encourage questions and discussions!

BTW, it sounds a bit strange that you need to put the battery that far back. Can you send a picture?

wedoitall

yea let me dig out the camera. ive been using a great planes cg machine and thought that maybe the plane is too light to use it. so i grabbed some pencils jammed in a 2x4 block, tried that method and it balanced different. this time it was tail heavy. so i had to move the battery up a bit. it seems really touchy. just a couple of mills and its one way or the other. nose or aft.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
With foam planes and even on my 48" balsa planes all I use is two of these pushed in on the wing tips and just use your fingers. Even on a foamy it is quite responsive.

172_352.jpg

wedoitall

well i got my plane dialed in and flew about 5 packs before i had to come into work for a few hrs. wow that really made a difference. I LOVE this plane. dont see me buying anything in the future that isnt 3d/aerobatic. on the dx8 i have triple rates setup but i found that using full 3d rates made things alil bit easier. kinda figured that would be the opposite for the first week or so of flying it. thanks once again, guys, for all the help.

njswede

150cc
Yeah! I figured out how to do ascending flatspins today. I wish I could tell you how... :) But the TH planes seriously rock!

wedoitall

yea they do rawk! i was experimenting on one battery pack this evening. just randomly move'n my sticks, pretty crazy stuff. got up early this morning a flew before our service at work. man, i was pump full of energy all day. now if i can talk the boss into letting me do that every morning. he flys planes also.
Today was a beautiful morning, i fly on top of a mountain(us hillbillys call it a hill) in one of our hay fields. you can see 7-8 mountain tops either way you look. where i stand to fly, im actually above the trees, so i have an endless horizon to fly. i felt very blessed. only kinda scary part is if/when i ever have a mechanical failure may be hard to tell which tree i land in. which reminds me, i have a funny story of my TH edge being in the top of a tree the other day at our other flying spot. :eek: in the end once again i was very blessed. got her back in one piece and ready to fly the next day.

sure am glad i listen to you guys and got the TH edge. already looking at what to get next. any advice will be greatly appreciated. swear i wont ask as many questions next time around.

i swear planes are like crack or something.

hone

150cc
Already looking at what to get next. any advice will be greatly appreciated. swear i wont ask as many questions next time around.

i swear planes are like crack or something.

The crack yak or extra slick would be very good next plane from TH. Or if you want a challenge get one of the bigger 44-48'' telink or RCF planes that Twisted sells.