• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

This is soooo not good!

I thought I was going to get me one of those anodized "PURPLE" spinners, but I got some sticker shock. $150 and that is for the 4", yes that's anodized, drilled back plate, and shipped, but DAYUMMM dats pricey. @stangflyer she's out the box, everything ordered, well other than $150 spinner:cautious:
When are you going to get that bird in the air so I can see you do your "happy Dance"!:banana-dance:

Spats

100cc
I didn't have a chance to read this whole thread so I am sure this has been said but here it goes....

I have found on some of my planes the Chinese carbon back plate gets warm and then as it's soft compresses from being tightend down and in turn ultimately makes the prop bolts loose. I set my prop bolts at 105" pounds on the GP 176 I have switched them over to Tru Turn back plates with no more problems.

Sorry if this was already covered.

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
When are you going to get that bird in the air so I can see you do your "happy Dance"!:banana-dance:

Got everything in hand, except engine, ignition switch, and spinner. I got rudder, stabs, installed, and put her legs on today. Engine should be here Tue/Wed depending on what delay I get with Presidents Day. Finding a affordable spinner is being a bit difficult.
I was going to just put CF on there, but this thread, and Steve having this same thing happen with his Beast, snapped off all the prop bolts on that 111, so I'm not gonna try it.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I didn't have a chance to read this whole thread so I am sure this has been said but here it goes....

I have found on some of my planes the Chinese carbon back plate gets warm and then as it's soft compresses from being tightend down and in turn ultimately makes the prop bolts loose. I set my prop bolts at 105" pounds on the GP 176 I have switched them over to Tru Turn back plates with no more problems.

Sorry if this was already covered.
Thanks Randy.... Yup. Got it covered. Ordered a lightened DA170 aluminum back plate from Tru-turn a couple of days ago. Should be here soon. I may be good to go on the 111 and the 3Dub, but not taking any chances with the Sukhoi.

I JUST CAME ACROSS THIS THREAD!!! and wow!! you were one minute away from disaster!!
how lucky were you?? The gods are looking out for you. I too had a CF backplate on a 170 cc motor. never had a problem on it with over 40 flights. then, i came across several posts, similar to yours, about the CF can get overheated, and melt a bit, thus causing "play" and loosening. Since then, i have removed all the Carbon back plates, and now all are metal, some have CF spinners, others are aluminum. just depends on whether i need nose weight.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I JUST CAME ACROSS THIS THREAD!!! and wow!! you were one minute away from disaster!!
how lucky were you?? The gods are looking out for you. I too had a CF backplate on a 170 cc motor. never had a problem on it with over 40 flights. then, i came across several posts, similar to yours, about the CF can get overheated, and melt a bit, thus causing "play" and loosening. Since then, i have removed all the Carbon back plates, and now all are metal, some have CF spinners, others are aluminum. just depends on whether i need nose weight.
I know huh? Thinking back on the maiden, after my last pull up in to a very brief hover, I pulled out just as my timer went off. Being the maiden, I didn't want to take any chances (couldn't tell by the way I was flying her huh? LOL) and brought the Sukhoi around and set up for a landing. She sat down very nicely and after chatting with my friends a bit, I came SOOOO close to putting her back up for another flight. Thank you rain clouds. It started to rain and I bagged it. WOW.... If I needed a go around on the first approach or attempted a second flight, I cringe at the thought of what very certainly would have happened. "NO" more CF back plates on motors that large.