• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

This is soooo not good!

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
I mentioned earlier in a post of a bud, snapping all prop bolts on a dle 111, he had CF back plate, and wood prop. He actually replaced it with same set up, after having engine fixed. I'm messing with a DLE 85 @Bunky.F.Knuckle do you think I'm safe with CF backplate, wood prop? After reading here I thought NO

yakken

100cc
I have ran carbon backplates on 50's up to 170's with no problems. Only issue i had was tightening down a pilot rc spinner it would wobble till i put aluminum backplate on it. I have a 111 with over 1300 flights with the original carbon spinner and backplate.

I mentioned earlier in a post of a bud, snapping all prop bolts on a dle 111, he had CF back plate, and wood prop. He actually replaced it with same set up, after having engine fixed. I'm messing with a DLE 85 @Bunky.F.Knuckle do you think I'm safe with CF backplate, wood prop? After reading here I thought NO

Only other reason I can see on breaking prop bolts is them loosening up in flight, ie not tight enough.

On my 106 engines, I have not run wood prop carbon spinner combo. I only have run the carbon carbon combo. But if a wood prop carbon backplate works on a 150 and up engine, I dont see why it wouldnt work on a 111. Hell, my DA 120 is a carbon carbon combo. And it works just fine.

Up to 150cc engines..... my theory is you are safe with carbon backplates on any type of prop. And the same with aluminum backplates.

Over 150cc engines......... Wood prop carbon backplate is ok. Wood prop aluminum backplate is ok. Carbon carbon is NOT ok. Carbon prop aluminum backplate is ok.

*I posted before I could finish typing.*

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Whoo hoo! Tru turn back plate arrived today. Not only perfectly drilled for the 176 but it also accepted my CF spinner like a glove. Although the spinner was slotted a little larger for the 3W prop, it should be just fine with the Falcon. You all know what happens next! It's flyin' time.

20150217_111932.jpg 20150217_111955.jpg 20150217_112026.jpg 20150217_121741.jpg 20150217_121819.jpg

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Yup.... I was thinking that. A little extra "wiggle" room. LOL.... I also "indexed" the back plate just so I can watch the spinner to make sure it is not slipping into yet another brand new prop. :way_to_go:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Stats: I so wanted to go flying today. 65 degrees...3mph winds. Not a cloud to be found. Oh but no...things to do. I did however do some run ups on the Sukhoi. Low needle needed a bit of a tweak on the rich side. Transition nearly perfect compared to the maiden flight. High speed also needed just a tick rich. With the Falcon 32x11, it is now twisting 5900 static. Temps are right at 220 on the ground. I expect a much more manageable prop usage with the Falcon.

Any one have some input on this? Am I going in the right direction?

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I extricated three broken bolts out of a DA200 hub at the field one day for a friend. Carbon backplate with a carbon prop. Luckily the prop survived. At first we thought it was junk, but it turned out to be transfer from the backplate onto the prop that was easily removed. It was the first nice day we'd had in months so we bolted the prop on without a spinner and he flew it the rest of the day. Now it has a Mejzlik.