Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

This is soooo not good!

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale RC General Discussions' started by stangflyer, Feb 11, 2015.

1. bigblueswope

bigblueswope 100cc

Sure is nice to be hanging out in a place where people can share their experiences without attacking one another!

BJ Swope

2. yakken

yakken 100cc

Did you check your muffler bearings

ChickenBalls, Xpress, thurmma and 2 others like this.
  3. stangflyer

stangflyer I like 'em "BIG"!

Well as you well know, I am most definitely "NOT" a guru on this stuff yet. That's why I rely on all you guys. LOL.... That being said, I am thinking the rpm was most certainly a factor. At least to some degree. However, I promise to read and study more, I promise to never use a CF back plate with my GP176. And I promise to keep my rpm down.... Yeah, ok. LOL. Just so much to grasp on these larger planes.

4. stangflyer

Actually, I did. I put the wrong ones in. It was supposed to have the chrome reverse and I used the bronze forward rotation bearings. [​IMG]

49dimes, ChickenBalls and thurmma like this.
  5. yakken

yakken 100cc

See your still thinking about the glowtard days.that would be correct in a glowtard engine.

stangflyer and bigblueswope like this.
  6. Hi Guys, Strangely I have had this same issue. After a million flights on my tried and true 176EVO/Pro Flow canisters along with the provided spinner from Pilot RC I used the same plane and engine for my Pipe testing. It scared the heck out of me to see the new power range I had. Take it easy? Hell No! I was having too much fun when I heard a noise from the engine. I landed to find the EXACT same thing mentioned in this thread. I junked the CF backplate and installed a Tru-Turn lightened unit. That as we say was that! I strongly recommend using a hardened bolt that protrudes at least 1/2" past the backplate and use a tiny tiny bit of antiseize on the threads. Torque to 110inch lbs (95 Inch lbs for wood props).
    If using a new prop check the torque after every flight for 5 flights then after every 4 flights. Best habbit to get into is to remove the spinner cone each time you get to the flying field and check them. Also take EXTRA measures to make darn sure nothing is hitting any part of the power plant such as the headers, Canisters, Pipes or dump tubes as the harmonic vibration can and will loosen bolts such as header bolts and prop bolts. The GP-176EVO with my Pro Flow Smooth pipes is a beast of a power plant.

Dave

stangflyer and 49dimes like this.
  7. The one thing I see is that the hub is polished smooth. Do most of the other engines have some grooves in the hub to bite into the spinner back plate? Most aluminum back plates also have some grooves. I think.

8. 49dimes

49dimes Damn I'm hungry

And I promise not to fly any glow while I fly your plane!:big-grin:

combat chicken and stangflyer like this.
  9. stangflyer

My 3W 157cs does not have any grooves either. Problem was not with the back of the back plate which contacted the prop hub. The problem was the contact point on the front of the back plate and the back of the prop where they join. Weird.

10. stangflyer

That would be a neat trick. I give you permission to fly a glow plane while you fly my plane. LOL