• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

This is soooo not good!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I think that it is stellar that you are digging into this with both feet. :)

But......................

There has been much discussion when it pertains to the 150cc and up engines pertaining to heat, CF backplates and CF props. Unfortunately, that type of discussion could blow up at a moments notice. Maybe not so here, but the potentiality is there. I've had the same thing happen to me, as you probably seen on that Mejzlik 30x12 prop I sent you to test. Had the prop on my 157 CSTS with a CF spinner and backplate. 4 min into the 1st flight, I heard something unusual. Killed the engine, and landed. Pulled the spinner cone and 6 bolts were loose. Everything was still warm, so I tightened everything up, let it all cool down, and proceeded to go fly again. Again, 4 mins into the flight, same deal. But, the same day, I tried the 31.5x13 Engel, and it was flawless. Made 2 full 10 minute flights. All was good.

I feel that RPM has something to do with it as well. But I made up a little rule of thumb, and I live by it. CF prop/CF backplate = No go. Wood prop/CF Backplate = YAY! Reason I say that is......... I ran a 30x12 Xoar ENP with a full 5" CF spinner, backplate included. Never once did the prop loosen up in 2.5 years.

I'm definitely not saying that you are wrong, but you have a different thought line. And it is intriguing.
Well as you well know, I am most definitely "NOT" a guru on this stuff yet. That's why I rely on all you guys. LOL.... That being said, I am thinking the rpm was most certainly a factor. At least to some degree. However, I promise to read and study more, I promise to never use a CF back plate with my GP176. And I promise to keep my rpm down.... Yeah, ok. LOL. Just so much to grasp on these larger planes.

Hi Guys, Strangely I have had this same issue. After a million flights on my tried and true 176EVO/Pro Flow canisters along with the provided spinner from Pilot RC I used the same plane and engine for my Pipe testing. It scared the heck out of me to see the new power range I had. Take it easy? Hell No! I was having too much fun when I heard a noise from the engine. I landed to find the EXACT same thing mentioned in this thread. I junked the CF backplate and installed a Tru-Turn lightened unit. That as we say was that! I strongly recommend using a hardened bolt that protrudes at least 1/2" past the backplate and use a tiny tiny bit of antiseize on the threads. Torque to 110inch lbs (95 Inch lbs for wood props).
If using a new prop check the torque after every flight for 5 flights then after every 4 flights. Best habbit to get into is to remove the spinner cone each time you get to the flying field and check them. Also take EXTRA measures to make darn sure nothing is hitting any part of the power plant such as the headers, Canisters, Pipes or dump tubes as the harmonic vibration can and will loosen bolts such as header bolts and prop bolts. The GP-176EVO with my Pro Flow Smooth pipes is a beast of a power plant.

Dave

The one thing I see is that the hub is polished smooth. Do most of the other engines have some grooves in the hub to bite into the spinner back plate? Most aluminum back plates also have some grooves. I think.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
The one thing I see is that the hub is polished smooth. Do most of the other engines have some grooves in the hub to bite into the spinner back plate? Most aluminum back plates also have some grooves. I think.
My 3W 157cs does not have any grooves either. Problem was not with the back of the back plate which contacted the prop hub. The problem was the contact point on the front of the back plate and the back of the prop where they join. Weird.