• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
What servos did you go with for your surfaces Tanner?

Dang, been so busy with the big Yak lately that I haven't even stopped by this thread to see what everyone is up to. Ya'll are doing some pretty crazy cool stuff...as usual. Chris, you still liking that Giles foamy? I have been seriously considering getting one to just goof around with. There are so many out there to choose from. Ugh! I want them all. LOL
I broke down and ordered the AcroCub foamy... it was like $90 with the 3S setup and shipping... cannot beat that for a little fun!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Should be around 700 oz/in at 8.4v, yeah I think she should do well.

Seems like it always takes forever to gather parts!! I still need prop, mufflers, batteries, a switch for ignition...
What engine did you end up with? ZDZ 180? I have a a couple of unused props, switches, batteries and an ignition kill switch. How about some pics of that bad boy?

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
What engine did you end up with? ZDZ 180? I have a a couple of unused props, switches, batteries and an ignition kill switch. How about some pics of that bad boy?

Yessir, I would have settled for nothing less (except maybe a DA200 and that's just for audio purposes only ;) ).

20160811_171055.jpg
20160811_183653.jpg

What propellers do you have?

BalsaDust

What servos did you go with for your surfaces Tanner?

Dang, been so busy with the big Yak lately that I haven't even stopped by this thread to see what everyone is up to. Ya'll are doing some pretty crazy cool stuff...as usual. Chris, you still liking that Giles foamy? I have been seriously considering getting one to just goof around with. There are so many out there to choose from. Ugh! I want them all. LOL
Yes I'm freaking loving it. Had a midair with it at Nash today which broke the aileron off. I will get it fixed once I wake up and huck the heck out of it some more. With the recommended 3S power setup it has really good power.

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
Damn, first time looking at this thread. Lots of stuff going on.

I started laying out the wing sheeting for a 46% Giles we are prototyping. I also ordered a piece of granite from a local supplier to have a very flat surface for laying up the wings. We were using the router table but that has about 5 jigs on it right now they are all aligned so I don't want to remove them.

Alky6 Let me know when you get that kit to build. We're timing you!! LOL

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I've been working on swapping the DA50 in my Pilot Edge for a GP61. The DA has been absolutely the most reliable engine I've ever owned, but the plane needs more power and the GP61 can certainly provide that.
For something that is basically a bolt in swap, this is taking forever. I needed to cut a much larger hole in the firewall so I made a template to make it as small as possible, but still fit.

The choke linkage has been a pain. I've spent more time looking at it trying to figure a good way to do it than working on it. When I had the GP in a Carf Extra it was mounted at 90 degrees and I was able to run the choke rod through the housing and out the cowl opening in the front. In this airplane it would have been too long with lots of bends and would have been nothing but trouble. The way the GP is setup the choke really needs to go out the rear, so my options are add a servo, or use a bell crank and take it out the side or the bottom. I decided on the bell crank and going out the bottom. I made a bell crank out of spare parts that should work fine. This afternoon I hope to get it all finished so I can fly it tomorrow.

20160921_193956_resized.jpg
20160923_220607_resized.jpg
20160923_220650_resized.jpg