• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I went to the Newport News Swap meet too, but only for a little while between 10:00 and 11:30 since I had to work today. There wasn't very much there to interest me either. I spent most of the time there talking to a friend of mine who was selling some stuff for the widow of a fellow club member. It would have been great to meet you @cbarnes0061 and @Luchnia

BalsaDust

I went to the Newport News Swap meet too, but only for a little while between 10:00 and 11:30 since I had to work today. There wasn't very much there to interest me either. I spent most of the time there talking to a friend of mine who was selling some stuff for the widow of a fellow club member. It would have been great to meet you @cbarnes0061 and @Luchnia

I was there the whole time except between 11-11:30 when me and my buddy went to grab a bite to eat then come back for the raffle. Where was the table at you where at? Or should I say what stuff where they trying to sell I went up and down all the lanes three or four times.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
It was right at the door where you paid to get in. You couldn't miss my buddy's fathers' B25 Mitchell bomber. It was two tone dark blue with Saito 91's in it. You probably saw the Extreme Fight electric MSX too. I had a two tone gray jacket with orange zippers on it.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Oh :steamer:! Sounds like Rob has not had a good one :concern:. Not looking forward to that kind of report. Hope it was not a total loss and he can do another restore thread.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Oh :steamer:! Sounds like Rob has not had a good one :concern:. Not looking forward to that kind of report. Hope it was not a total loss and he can do another restore thread.
No restore on Baby...!
So, calling all 3dub owners. Check those cylinder bolts from time to time. What I did NOT know, is they are a known issue with some of the 3w motors. At least this is what I was told this evening on my way in from the field. I guess first, we need a flight report huh? So the wind was blowing today. About 12 to 15. Ah heck, ain't no thing for Baby and me. First flight.., pure raw power roaring across the sky. My friend Tom, (who used to fly nothing but 3w) commented, holy crap, that thing "RUNS"!!! So a few blenders and a few high alpha harriers...stopped in motion due to the wind...and full power knife edge circles left me just beaming inside and out. Turned Baby home and made my turn on final. Pulled back the throttle and eased her down to a glass smooth touch down on the racing surface. Oh I was so pleased. Second flight, I blasted off and after a minute or two the one 157 stumbled and seemed to bog slightly. Since she's never done that before, gut instinct was to bring her in and investigate why. I eased back on the throttle and she seemed ok again. I turned and headed upwind to the west, rolled inverted and the 3w really bogged. This is just not right I thought. Headed her back to the east and gained some altitude and the motor bogged down and died. Well, needless to say I was a long way from getting her turned into the wind and headed to the apron. I tried, but she just wasn't hearing that noise. I banked her back to the East and let the wind carry her down range. Now mind ya'll, at the far East end of the field, (about 1/4 mile) there sits a stupid nice ugly barbed wire fence. Of course Baby was headed straight for it. I responded the only way I knew to. Ease off the elevators a bit...let the wind coast her. And what do you know?! She cleared it by a long ways. Ok, we're still good. By now she's almost 3/8 of a mile downrange. Losing altitude and airspeed, I let her settle down. Just before she touched, she went out of sight...I figured now would be a good time for a little flare. Next thing I see is Baby re-appearing. Tail straight up as she went over on her top. I just knew...that sickening feeling...she's done! I scurried to my trailer, closed the doors and jumped in the pick up to run her down. After reaching the end of the road, and the barbed wire fence, and the hills beyond...there she was. Upside down. Laying there in the cold. As I walked up to her, I could see I'd lost a wheel pant. But no other apparent damage. The closer I got, I could see the entire bottom was in perfect and unscathed condition. I gently picked her up and set her tenderly on her legs. Yup, both wheel pants, toast! But what do you know? Not so much as a knick or scratch on anything else. Even the prop came through undamaged. This ole girl is one tough bird. I will admit, the desert was very forgiving today. Had this been June or July, the end result may have not been quite the same.
20160213_153042.jpg

Now for the cause. Apparently I had some cylinder bolts come loose. And one actually broke. When that cut loose, the motor lost power and died. Upon getting her home, I removed the motor to inspect the problem. It turned out pretty good considering what could have happened.
20160213_193401.jpg

I am very impressed with how clean the motor is inside. Thank you Redline oil.
20160213_193453.jpg

You can bet your bottom dollar when I put this motor back together, she'll have wired bolts and checked more rigorously. I truly felt saddened when she went down. I did not expect to see her as she was. She'll fly again for sure.

But darned tootin' I stopped at the first place I came to on my way home. To buy a lottery ticket. Lol

BalsaDust

It was right at the door where you paid to get in. You couldn't miss my buddy's fathers' B25 Mitchell bomber. It was two tone dark blue with Saito 91's in it. You probably saw the Extreme Fight electric MSX too. I had a two tone gray jacket with orange zippers on it.

Yup I know right where you where. Wish I had known I would have said hello.

I was at the field a couple of months ago. Flying at about 200ft I realized my throttle channel was no longer functioning with the engine running full throt. I quickly went to 600ft and circled the North runway area until she ran out of fuel and deadsticked a sweet landing. A throttle arm screw vibrated loose. Anything that goes wrong I always go higher if possible and then fly in my approach. Stang I'm glad your plane made it without severe damage. Sounds like you really love that plane. I feel the same way about one of mine. Thanks for the heads up on the head bolts. I'm getting ready to install a couple of Bowman rings in one of my engines. I got lucky and found the last two on earth someone had in stock. After the install, it might pay to check the head bolts now an then.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I was at the field a couple of months ago. Flying at about 200ft I realized my throttle channel was no longer functioning with the engine running full throt. I quickly went to 600ft and circled the North runway area until she ran out of fuel and deadsticked a sweet landing. A throttle arm screw vibrated loose. Anything that goes wrong I always go higher if possible and then fly in my approach. Stang I'm glad your plane made it without severe damage. Sounds like you really love that plane. I feel the same way about one of mine. Thanks for the heads up on the head bolts. I'm getting ready to install a couple of Bowman rings in one of my engines. I got lucky and found the last two on earth someone had in stock. After the install, it might pay to check the head bolts now an then.
Thanks Bill. She definitely has sentimental value to me. Guess you could say it's all her fault I made the jump to giant scale.