• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
This engine has been lacking on power for as long as I've had it. It's very evident when compared to my new DA120, this is an old V1 engine. It's possible that it's just worn out, it's got probably more than 1000 flights on it (some 3-400 of those are by my own hand).

Since I didn't have an airplane to fly today I got to work on the Yak. Anybody that knows these Pilot airplanes knows that the top of the motor box usually has an "X" pattern, after years of abuse it finally gave out so I decided to cut it out and dremel it smooth. You can also see that I just cut off the top of the smashed F1 former, the area I cut serves as absolutely no structural support for anything so there isn't any point in keeping it. When the airplane is assembled you won't notice anything. The holes that secure the cowling and the canopy hatch pins are all elongated so I am going to fill them in and glue in new supports.

View attachment 97392

All dremeled smooth again.
View attachment 97391

I also made a new hatch for this area, and mounted the ignition to it.

View attachment 97389

The ignition was originally mounted just in front of the hatch.

View attachment 97390

In the crash the plywood floor securing the tank pulled up at the cutout slots, so I glued in a new piece of 1/8" ply to strengthen the area up.

View attachment 97388

I also removed the Fromeco Badger switch and Sahara regulator for the ignition and instead replaced them with a Tech Aero IBEC I had on hand. The red battery tray pictured above was also removed right after I took the picture. So overall I added some weight, but removed more weight. Aside from the SWB dual rudder tray, there's not much else I can remove to lighten this airplane up.

At some point, one of the SWB engine standoffs fell out of the airplane when the bolt came loose so it was replaced with a generic standoff- this was before I owned the airplane, I never bothered to do anything about it because it never gave me any problems. With this crash, I don't want to take any risks with the bolts or standoffs being compromised so I'll order new ones from SWB, and snag some new grade 8 bolts from the hardware store. I am also going to fit blind nuts to the rear of the firewall instead of using washers and lock nuts. Once the engine is bolted in I'll use locknuts to keep the bolts from backing out.

Also on my agenda is to fix the spats from being so loose. Right now they are secured to the gear legs with the axles, the axles clamp down on them to keep them in place, but over time they loosen up from the wood in the spats compressing. I plan to resolve this by bolting the spats to the gear legs using blind nuts and 3mm bolts.

I think that's about it....
Except that round smashed former that supports nothing and is no structural support and is of no use...is actually a support for the lip of your cowl to ride on, correct? The hatch butts up against it and the rounded portion adds support to your cowl lip. At least that's the way the big Yak and the lip 50cc yak is designed. How does the 100cc fit?

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Except that round smashed former that supports nothing and is no structural support and is of no use...is actually a support for the lip of your cowl to ride on, correct? The hatch butts up against it and the rounded portion adds support to your cowl lip. At least that's the way the big Yak and the lip 50cc yak is designed. How does the 100cc fit?

Nope, the top section doesn't do anything, the cowl has it's own support ring and the front of the hatch will still key into the remainder of the first former. All components have their own structural support.