• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Yep it flies again!!

17634395_10213439702493919_7841790057624303998_n.jpg

It flies even better than before too, with the new motor box and batteries pushed all the way against the first former the CG was dead nuts, flies perfectly level upright and needs a touch of down for inverted- perfect. Only managed 2 flights today on the set needle settings as instructed, will open up a small access hole in the cowl so I can get a screwdriver to the needles for adjustment :)

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Got for the first flight in this year on wheels, been out a couple of times on skies but that does not count. It was cold and the ground very soft and wet the frost is coming out off the ground . By the time I was done flying both my feet were soaked. Well got in three flights and found a gofer hole or something while trying to take off flipped the plane over and broke the propeller and cleaned off the stabilizer so I was done back to the repair shop for day and I will be ready again.
While the guys were flying I rolled the field it is looking good.

js-rc

70cc twin V2
That was all I did today too was roll the one field !! Took 2 hours & no one flew again probably cause it was only around 45 degrees, if that. I hope I can get some flying in too but it may be another week !

Terry B

New to GSN!
I just stepped up to the field maintenance role at our club and since a couple of guys here mentioned rolling their field I was wondering what you were using for equipment. I don't see a standard lawn roller doing much on our file but was wondering what everyone out there was using.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Yakman

70cc twin V2
I just stepped up to the field maintenance role at our club and since a couple of guys here mentioned rolling their field I was wondering what you were using for equipment. I don't see a standard lawn roller doing much on our file but was wondering what everyone out there was using.

My old club bought a plastic drum roller from Runnings, it took like 50 gallons of water for weight and was pulled behind lawn tractor.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp

Well that is not as easy to answer as you may think. What type of soil do you have and several other questions. We started out with roller behind the lawn mower but it ready did not do much. So three of us built a roller over one winter. We ended up with rollers 36 inch diameter and four feet wide. Built a frame and installed motor and seat on it. Then we toke it to the field and told everyone to bring their old oil. Started fill the rollers, we found out that we did not put much in the front roller it got heavy to steer but the back roller we continued to fill until we got the results we needed. I think it is about 70 % full. Hope this helps. The motor is 650cc B/S twin.

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Well that is not as easy to answer as you may think. What type of soil do you have and several other questions. We started out with roller behind the lawn mower but it ready did not do much. So three of us built a roller over one winter. We ended up with rollers 36 inch diameter and four feet wide. Built a frame and installed motor and seat on it. Then we toke it to the field and told everyone to bring their old oil. Started fill the rollers, we found out that we did not put much in the front roller it got heavy to steer but the back roller we continued to fill until we got the results we needed. I think it is about 70 % full. Hope this helps. The motor is 650cc B/S twin.

If you ever get a chance Snoopy, take a picture of it !! Sounds like just what we need !!

Terry B

New to GSN!
Thanks Snoopy, I figured soil composition and moisture conditions at the time would have a lot to do with success / or lack of success. LOL

Any idea what your home built rig weighs? May have to hit up the local equipment rental outfits to see what is available. Anyone tried one of the small asphalt rollers?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks Snoopy, I figured soil composition and moisture conditions at the time would have a lot to do with success / or lack of success. LOL

Any idea what your home built rig weighs? May have to hit up the local equipment rental outfits to see what is available. Anyone tried one of the small asphalt rollers?

We estimated the weight to be around 4000 lbs. about 3300 lbs in the rear and 700 in the front.