• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Rob,

Did you and Baby go flying today?
No, unfortunately the wind was blowing 14 gusting to 20. Which normally wouldn't bother me. But when I arrived at the field, it was exactly 90 degrees across the runway. I stayed and chatted with my buddy for a bit, but the wind was not letting up. Oh well, another time huh?

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Another miserable day in miserable Southern California with our miserable 80* weather and miserable ocean breezes.

20160626_112152.jpg

Slick got a good workout today. Lots of on the deck studf and high speed stuff. Back to work tomorrow :(

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
View attachment 83774 Another beautiful night tonight :) Got 3 more flights on the Extra.

My 180 does not like a Mezjlik 29x12 standard 3 blade prop. The rpm was good on the ground but, in the air I was about 400 rpm less than the 29x12EVO 3 blade. Temps were up so I richened the high end thinking it wasn't getting enough fuel due to the lighter loading prop and the temps came down some but, no increase in rpm. I left the needles the way they were and put the EVO on and the temps dropped back to the normal range and I picked up the 400 rpm I had lost and added about 100 rpm. Turning 7100 in the air.

The only thing I can figure is that the prop doesn't load the engine enough and it doesn't like it.
But tell us what you "really" think about the 180..... :yesss:

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
It was an interesting flying day yesterday evening. It was if something odd was in the air.

One guy left his aileron connectors for his bipe at home - too far to go home and get it.

Another guy left his radio and went home and got that.

Another guy's plane would not run worth a darn and could not get it fixed. He only had one flight and had to pack it up.

Another guy dorked his beautiful scratch built Zero warbird, busted the engine up so bad it was trashed (you could see most of the connecting rod - casings were garbage!), wing was really bad, retractable landing gear was totaled.

Another guy could not maiden a new electric because something was wrong with the speed controller programming.

I was flying my EF Extra 300 88" and did a fly by and went to an upline, was thinking about going into a hover, and engine all of a sudden had no throttle at all. So I basically let it stall and got a tiny bit of speed and plopped it down on the ground. Broke my prop and delammed my gear so damage was extremely minimal - just cannot find landing gear for this older EF. The odd thing is I have never hurt this plane and even has original CF gear on it from hundreds upon hundreds of flights!

So, yes, it was a strange flying day indeed!

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
I am glad it survived, too. You know you never want anyone to lose or damage a plane. Some planes seem to stick to us more than others and that is how my old EF 50cc is. Even though I fly two 35% birds, there is something "special" about that 50cc EF that I cannot explain. Kind of like a family member with special character :D

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
It was an interesting flying day yesterday evening. It was if something odd was in the air.

One guy left his aileron connectors for his bipe at home - too far to go home and get it.

Another guy left his radio and went home and got that.

Another guy's plane would not run worth a darn and could not get it fixed. He only had one flight and had to pack it up.

Another guy dorked his beautiful scratch built Zero warbird, busted the engine up so bad it was trashed (you could see most of the connecting rod - casings were garbage!), wing was really bad, retractable landing gear was totaled.

Another guy could not maiden a new electric because something was wrong with the speed controller programming.

I was flying my EF Extra 300 88" and did a fly by and went to an upline, was thinking about going into a hover, and engine all of a sudden had no throttle at all. So I basically let it stall and got a tiny bit of speed and plopped it down on the ground. Broke my prop and delammed my gear so damage was extremely minimal - just cannot find landing gear for this older EF. The odd thing is I have never hurt this plane and even has original CF gear on it from hundreds upon hundreds of flights!

So, yes, it was a strange flying day indeed!
We had a guy yesterday that brought an 8 cell airplane and only 5 cell batteries, but the wierdest thing yesterday was an invasion of Japanese Beatles. Those things were everywhere in the sun, and would swarm you while you were flying. They never came into the shaded area where we have picnic tables, but they were all over the work tables and start stands that were in the sun. Then at about 12:30 or so they just disappeared.