• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

The EXTRA 300 EXT Build Thread

gyro

GSN Contributor
Don't stress about covering them, I'm probably overthinking the aerodynamics... And you wouldn't want to loose the cool factor!

AKfreak

150cc
So my el cheapo landing gear looks cool? That just made my day... :banana: I just like custom stuff, and if its functional all the better.

If it effects aerodynamics just cover with clear covering. A fix and keep the cool factor. Or budget fix with clear packing tape.:cool:

gyro

GSN Contributor
So my el cheapo landing gear looks cool? That just made my day... :banana: I just like custom stuff, and if its functional all the better.

definitely looks cool. If I ever end up with aluminum gear, I'll be stealing your idea.

AKfreak

150cc
Well my horizontal stab is laid up, and in 30 mins I will be able to breath a little easier. I just don't trust thin CA to install a stab, so I use 30 min epoxy. The opening on horizontal stab hole is lined with hardwood, it just doesn't have the same capillary action as balsa. Thus the use of epoxy.

Also I used spider wire (no stretch fishing line)to ensure the control surface is correctly lined up. I made a short video to show you what I did, but I am sure you experts know a better way. This is my biggest build yet, and only my 2nd balsa ARF.

AKfreak

150cc
Ok its all set up and the tape I used to mask off the area has been removed. The Stab is perfect and not I ready to hinge the Elevator and Rudder.

Here is that video on how I made sure the Horizontal Stabilizer was in the perfect position using Spider Wire.

[video=youtube_share;z6MAFA2Evs0]http://youtu.be/z6MAFA2Evs0[/video]

13259004105_ab2aef4195_c.jpg

How it looked when it was all taped off ready to glue.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Necessity is the mother of invention ;) I have never seen it done that way but it looks like it worked out great.

AKfreak

150cc
I used the tape so when the epoxy dried, I can pull the tape and have a nice clean glue line. As to the thrust line, yep there is, they have it built in.

Last edited by a moderator: